twenty three

As promised, I was ready by ten for Brad to pick me up. My dad kept asking me where I was going—he's being overprotective since the incident on Monday—but I just told him it was a surprise since I didn't quite know myself.

Brad messaged me when he arrived and I tug on my winter coat since it's cold and cloudy outside and it could rain any time soon. Brad leans against his car, waiting for me and wearing a jacket for himself.

"I told you I'd be here at ten, sharp," he says with his eyebrows raised. I roll my eyes, letting him hug me from the side before I walk around to climb into the passenger seat.

Once we are both fastened in, Brad pulls away from my house and we begin the journey to wherever he usually spends his weekends.

"Where are we actually going?" I question after ten minutes of driving. It looked like we were heading out of town and I was confused as to why.

"There's some race tracks that my boss owns," he says, and by boss I assume he's referring to his gang leader. "It's only twenty minutes out of town, but we're going the long way past my house so that Tristan, Connor and James can all follow behind us."

"They're in the gang, too?" I ask.

"That's how we met," he replies and as we reach into his estate, his house seems to stick out to me even though it's the same as every other white mansion on the road.

When we drive past, two cars pull out of his garage and are soon following close behind us. It was no surprise to me, now, that they all could afford the expensive luxuries like sports cars.

"So you race for fun, or something?" I ask curiously. If he races every weekend, how come he always comes back with a cut or a bruise on his face.

Brad shrugs. "Something like that, but it isn't fun. Most people from our gang come and participate and at the end of the weekend, if you win, you get fifty."

"Fifty what? Fifty pounds?"

"Fifty thousand," Brad replies and my eyes go wide. That's a lot of money. "People hate the winners, they always end up fighting each other but the deal is fair. They just suck at driving."

I nod understandably. Brad got in to fights over the winner—either because he was the winner or because he wanted to be the winner. I feel so nosy asking more questions so I keep my mouth shut so that he doesn't get annoyed at me.

When we arrive half an hour later, there's already a few people littered around the dirt track that they race at. I climb out nervously, instantly sticking by Brad's side with caution. These people are gang members, I don't want to get mixed up in any trouble.

The two cars from Brad's house park on either side of his BMW and from the first climbs out Connor and James and from the other, Tristan gets out.

"Name twin!" James cheers as he sees me and I smile, letting him engulf me in a hug. It was no surprise that he was full of energy. "Glad that Brad finally swallowed his pride and told you about his double life."

"James," Brad scowls and James just grins childishly. "It's not a double life."

"I think secretly being a respected gang member and being probably the best racer in the UK without your friend knowing is basically living a double life."

So Brad got into fights because he won the race. It made sense, I shouldn't doubt Brad's capability.

"Whatever," Brad mumbles before turning to me. "I want you to stay with at least one of us at all times, okay?"

"Yes, Sir," I salute him and he rolls his eyes with a smile before taking my hand. He just wanted to make sure I was safe, I knew that for sure.

"What time is Joe getting here?" Connor asks, his eyes lingering on me for a second before he looks over to Brad.

"He'll be here soon, I'm sure," Brad says, glancing at the time on his phone. It was midday, and I wanted to have something to eat soon.

"What do we do whilst we wait?" I ask, looking around. The track was like a professional race course but it was surrounded by dry dirt since it hadn't rained all weekend. There was a single shed-shack to get some drinks from and cars were parked far from the starting line for people to wait at. I felt like I was in the real life animation of Cars or something.

"We like to gut people alive, we have some people stored in the shack over there," Tristan says and Brad throws him a glare.

"He's joking, don't worry," Brad says. I had a feeling it was a joke but I wouldn't put it past them entirely. "We can just sit in the car and eat or something."

"Sounds good to me."

+

An hour passed and Brad and I were sat on the boot of his car, meanwhile his three friends were inside the shack making bets on who's going to win today.

"Are you sure you still wanna be here?" Brad cautions as more people start to arrive. I was overwhelmed by the expensive cars and the heavily ripped men walking around.

"Yeah," I nod and he takes my hand hesitantly. "I told you that I wanna be able to understand this life."

"It's gonna get more dangerous," Brad warns me as people stumble out of the shack, already drunk. It's one in the afternoon and people are drinking alcohol in there?

"But I'll be with you or your friends," I smile at him, assuring him that I'm going to be okay. I found it sweet that he was worrying so much for me.

He opens his mouth to reply but a car drives through the entrance of the dirt track and I figure it's Joe as he gets off of the boot before helping me down.

When the car is parked by the shack, people cheer and shout Joe's name, meanwhile Brad has pulled me by his side.

"What's so special about Joe?" I question, looking up at Brad who's gaze was set dead on the car.

"He manages all of the bets," he says. "Makes sure everyone pays up, and makes sure that the drivers aren't cheating and messing up everyone's cars."

"Oh."

Tristan, Connor and James all walk out of the shack with grins on their faces and their hands stuffed in their pockets. People were glaring at them as they walk down towards us.

Girls in shorts skirts clung to their respective partners as Joe opens his car door. It was like a movie, they way he slung his glasses off of his eyes and made eye contact with anyone who dared to look at him.

He had his hair cut short, pushed back and messy from his hand running through it. He wore some plain, black trousers and a white button up and his sleeves were rolled up.

Joe's eyes fall on me for a moment before he turns on his heel and walks up into the shack, presumably to take care of the bets that are already made. I let out a sigh of relief and turn to Brad.

"The races will start soon," he tells me. "I'm up on the second race but I'll have to set up my car and go over some stuff with Joe during the first race. I need you to stay with the boys, okay?"

I nod. "That's fine. Are you going now?"

"Yeah," he replies, smiling tightly at me. I had a feeling that he didn't want to leave me here, even with the boys. "I'll see you after I've won the race."

I nod again, smiling and he wraps his arms around my shoulders quickly, embracing me in a strong hug. A small smile was on my face and I quickly hide it as Brad moves away from me.

"Good luck," I tell him as he pulls his car keys out of his jacket pocket. He zips up his jacket and looks over to the boys, giving them a small smile before looking down at me.

"I don't need it," he tells me with confidence before turning on his heel and walking to his car door.

edited.