thirteen

I had a red solo cup in my hand to keep me occupied as I watch two boys battle it out in a game of beer pong. There was one cup left on one side, and two on the other side.

The boy that had to get one cup gone throws the ping pong ball and it misses narrowly. The other boy throws it back and gets it in with a cheer.

"Drink up, Tristan, you lanky piece of shit!" The boy yells out and the blonde rolls his eyes at his friend before drinking the beer. Neither of them were particularly sober so I was surprised that they had such good aim still.

Tristan missed again, "for fuck's sake! This game is rigged."

"You've been winning the entire time," the other boy rolls his eyes. Both of them were tall and I'm pretty sure that they're frat boys.

"Shut up, James," the blonde growls out as the other boy misses his throw again. There was a small crowd gathered around the table and most people were hoping James would win.

Tristan throws the ball and misses once again and it keeps going back and forth until eventually Tristan gets the ball into the cup. Some people cheer while most are disappointed in James for not winning.

"There you are," I hear someone say to me and I turn around to see Brad. I hadn't seen him since we arrived almost two hours ago but now he had lipstick marks all over his face.

My eyes flicker to his and I smile, "yeah, I've been here for a while now. You okay?"

"Yeah," he says and he looks towards James and Tristan who were embraced in a hug. "Why are these two hugging?"

"James lost a game of beer pong and Tristan felt bad so he hugged him," I inform him and he nods. Tristan now had James over his shoulder, spinning around as James yelled to be put down.

"Brad!" Tristan yells as he spots the boy next to me and walks over as some more people set up another game of beer pong. "Haven't seen you in a while, how are you and the ga—?"

"Fine," Brad quickly interrupts Tristan as the blonde sets James down. James is disoriented for a moment and stumbles backwards against me but I steady him quickly.

"Thank you," James smiles goofily as I take my hands off of his torso as he stand between Brad and I. James puts his arm over my shoulder carelessly.

"Stop flirting with the girl," Tristan rolls his eyes at James. "That's Brad's girl."

"She's not my girl," Brad says to Tristan. "She's my friend, actually."

"Can I have her, then?" James looks down at me, batting his eyelashes as he stares into my eyes. He was attractive and very cute.

"Who's lipstick is all over your lips, then?" Tristan says and Brad quickly wipes the makeup off of him. Of course he didn't even realise it was there.

"Some girl I hooked up with," Brad says smugly and I scrunch my nose up. This is how boys talk about girls after they've gotten together? Tristan high fives the curly haired boy and James holds me closer.

"I'm gonna go and get another drink," I decide, leaving the three boys after I've gotten James' arm off of my shoulder.

+

I had gotten my drink and decided to stay in the kitchen because it was less crowded than everywhere else. Some people had left and the party was slowly coming to an end, even though it's almost two in the morning. It was still crowded and I hadn't seen Brad since I saw him at the beer pong table.

I had told my dad to go to bed since I didn't know what time I was going to be back and I didn't want him to be waiting up for me. He still told me to message him when he's on his way back, and I assured him that I will before putting my phone away.