Allergic to Chlorine....Really now

Song: Bad day by Daniel Powter

I have to drag myself out of bed. My mom has already been by my door three times yelling at me that I am going to be late. I look in the mirror and my rash has not gotten any better, however I get dressed and go downstairs. I don't bother hiding it because she is going to look regardless. My mom takes one look at me and before I can say anything she already has the thermometer in my mouth. "Close." Is all she says and I know she wants me to close my mouth. I roll my eyes at her but close my mouth anyway. There is no getting out of this. It beeps and she takes it out to look at it. "101...guess you need to see Dr. Anderson today. I will make you an appointment."

"Mom...I feel fine." I lie. I don't know why I lie. I should stay home; I mean I know everyone will still be talking about the party and how Kodiak had to jump in to save my life.

"No you're not, go back up stairs and get in bed. I will let you know when we have to go." The one perks of my mom's job, she can take off whenever she wants and no one ever says anything to her.

I look at my phone and I know everyone is in first period. I wonder if he is wondering where I am. I wonder if he is thinking of me like I am of him. A few minutes later my phone dings.

Kodiak: Where are you?

A smile forms on my face...awe he is thinking of me...how sweet. I text back.

Ophelia: Mom making me stay home.

Kodiak: Why? You ok?

Ophelia: Temp. 101 still have a rash. Going to Dr.

Kodiak: I'm sorry

Ophelia: Don't be, I'll be fine.

Kodiak: Got to go starting class. Let me know what they say.

Ophelia: TTYL

My appointment happens to be around ten. My mom has to wake me back up because I ended up going back to sleep. I drag myself out of bed and feel a little dizzy. My throat is also hurting more but I don't complain about it. I get dressed and then we go. I hate coming here because all these little kids are always crying. At the moment one is screaming, throwing himself down in the floor, while another kid makes this little girl cry by taking her toy away from her and not one parent says a damn thing because they are too busy on their own cell phones. There are also so many kids that are coughing and sneezing snot everywhere. I wish that I could just wait out in the car but she will not let me.

By the time we get to the back I feel like crap. They check my temperature again and it's now reading 101.8. They weight me and check my height. I'm still the same height but I have lost five pounds since my last visit. I don't know why it is such a big deal. But apparently it is and they keep asking about my eating habits. Yes I eat, I just don't eat that much.

The doctor comes in he looks in my ears and my throat. They have to do a stupid swab of my throat to check for strep. Guess what I have?

"Do you think it's from the pool? She was fine until she fell in the pool." Says my mom.

He looks at me. "You fell in the pool, when? Are you alright?" he asks like he really even cares.

"Yes...Saturday night...I'm fine."I reply back to all questions. I feel like I am being interrogated. Dear lord it was just a party, a pool. I fell in get over it.

"But she also has this rash and it doesn't seem to be going away." My mom points out to the doctor.

"Do you mind if I look?" he asks.

Hell yes I mind, this is my body that you are talking about. I shrug and he looks at my arms, then my back. "I take it...it's all over your body." He looks at my mom, then back at me. "Could be from a virus of some kind. Let's run a few test first see what we got. I will have the nurse come in and draw some blood alright."

I look at my mom and she wrinkles her nose at me. "I know you don't like giving blood but we have to make sure everything is alright."

When the nurse comes in I hold out my arm and turn my head before even looking at the needle. I know if I look, I will puke I always do.

"It will just be a slight sting sorry," she says as I flinch. "I will be right back."

We wait for a good fifteen minutes. I don't know what she thinks right back means. I feel like we waited forever. Finally Dr. Anderson comes back in. "Well...looks like strep...for sure. The rash could be from it but I think it's more from the chlorine in the water. I would suggest not getting in the pool again at least till all this is clear. Then you could try again just to see if it is in fact from the chlorine. I know you had the same reaction years ago if you remember."

I do remember. It was freaking horrible. My parents thought that I should learn to swim and when I kept panicking and told them that I couldn't breathe they had to rush me to the hospital. Sure enough it was the chlorine. They say not many people break out from it but my skin is so sensitive that I break out easily.

"You also have an ear infection. I will give you a prescription to help out the ear and throat as far as the rash goes hopefully it will go away with this medication."

"What about school?" ask my mom.

"She should stay home at least three days if not feeling any better by then take the rest of the week off."

Yay! Three days out of school. Everyone is for sure going to be talking about me. The weird girl who got sick because she fell in the pool. Either way it doesn't matter my mom will make sure that I stay home. If it was up to her, which it is I will for the rest of the week. Maybe I should just enjoy being sick.

We get home after two, only because we had to run by the pharmacy to get medication and then my mom wanted to get them to fix me a bowl of their famous chicken noodle soup, it's like super creamy and thick and she claims it will be good for my throat. I wait in the car while she goes in. My phone dings and I know it is him.

Kodiak: Verdict???

Ophelia: Ear infection, strep...rash.

Kodiak: So no school?

Ophelia: 3 days maybe rest of week depends on my mom.

Kodiak: This is all my fault. I'm sorry.

Ophelia: Whatever

Kodiak: I missed you today!

Ophelia: Really now!

Kodiak: YEEESSSS!!!!

My mom gets in the car and looks over at me, waiting for me to put the phone away.

Ophelia: Got to go. Mom is back in the care. TTYL

Kodiak: TTYL

"So...who are you texting?" My mom asks while glancing over to get a peek at my phone.

"Kodiak, he was just asking how I was feeling?"

She smiles. "You two seem to be hitting off so are you like dating him now or still just friends?"

"Mom..."

"What...it's just you two have been doing things together and he came over yesterday so I assume you are dating him. I would never thought my little girl growing up so fast and now dating. Where does the time go?"

"Mom!"

"Ophelia...there is nothing wrong with dating a boy however you need to be aware of a few things."

"OMG...mom...please...I'm not stupid." I turn to look out the window...so want to not be in this conversation with her.

"I didn't say you were; I'm just saying you need to be careful. Guys, well most boys only want..."

"Mom..." I interrupt her. "We really don't need to have this conversation...so stop."

"Ok...but if you ever need to talk."

"Mom...really...just stop."