Chapter 1

Recap from Book 2:

....

I hope with this letter, I have answered your questions. Your journey in finding the countercurse will be a difficult. When you join Elijah, you will meet a boy named Gerrard. Put your trust in him. He will help you. And when you find yourself losing hope, just remember that I have complete faith in you. You are a smart girl and incredibly strong. I wouldn't give you this job if I didn't think you could do it.

Enclosed in this envelope is a bracelet. Caley, let the dove on the bracelet be a reminder of what you are striving for.

I love you so very much. Please take care of yourself.

All my love,

Mom

My hands shook as I stared at the letter in my hands. And then I broke down crying.

                                                                      ~~~~~~~~~~~

Book 3: The Trinity War

Chapter 1

The room was a mess. The nightstand had been tipped over. The lamp was broken. The few photographed pictures were buried under shards of glass that came from their frames. The wall had a large burn mark in it. The curtains had been pulled down and lay in a crumpled mess on the floor. The ceiling fan dangled dangerously on the ceiling. The bed had been overturned.

I lay amongst this mess, my mother's letter by my side and Mr. Tomkins clutched in my arms. The bracelet was hidden amongst the mess somewhere. I stared up at the ceiling fan that hung from a single wire on the ceiling. I wondered when it would fall. I should probably move in case it did. But I was so unwilling, so uncaring.

What was the point, anyway? I was doomed to die anyway, banished to live a cursed life ever since the day I entered into existance.

I had wondered for a brief moment what would have happened if I had never found out about magic. What would my life have been like if I had continued my education at a non-magic high school, graduated amongst the peers I had studied with since kindergarten, gone off to college like a normal teenager? Would my life have been any different?

But I knew the answer before I even finished the thought. It had been in my destiny to be cursed. Sooner or later I would have fallen in love with someone and then have had something horrible happen to them. Then I wouldn't have know what went wrong.

But I knew now. I knew what was wrong. I was cursed; my family was cursed. And I was the only one that could save us.

I got up gingerly and made my way to the mirror that was mounted on the wall. It was the only thing in the room that wasn't shattered or broken. I stared at my reflection, not recognizing the girl in the mirror.

What had I become? Who was this girl staring back at me with the wild blue eyes, the messy blonde hair, the slight evil curl to her lips? Who was she? What happened to the curious and wide blue eyes? What happened to the innocence? What happened to me?

Just a few hours ago, I was getting ready to kill someone. A year ago, I didn't even think I was capable of watching torture and here I was now, moving far beyond that and entering even more dangerous territory. I had become a monster and I was so ashamed. So, so, so ashamed.

I had strayed too far from my path. I had become so blinded, so misguided. I had let my emotions rule over me and now I was standing amongst the mess that had been caused by my actions.

I gazed into the eyes of the girl in the mirror. They were wild and bright, like a savage animal waiting to terrorize anything that crosses its path. I saw an evil in those eyes that not only frightened me, but intrigued me as well. And this frightened me even more.

Who had I become? How had I let myself become so affected? What happened to staying who I was? Where did the old Caley go?

I felt anger take over me and I grabbed onto the mirror, pulling it off with a strength I shouldn't have. I launched the mirror in the air towards the window, but before it hit, I blew it up. I raised my arms and the mess around me levitated into the air. Screaming, I sent the debris flying around me. This was the mess I had made. This was the mess I had become.

I let out a yell and fell to my knees, my hands reaching for my head. I clawed at my hair, pulling at it and screaming. The debris fell all around me, crashing to the ground like my life. And once the last piece of glass shattered onto the wooden floors, I looked up. I looked around me. Everything was still, silent.

And then I began laughing. Laughing manically. Laughing so hard my eyes watered. The sound scared me, frightened me beyond anything else. I got up and staggered to the wall like a drunk, laughing the whole time. I continued laughing until it gradually became sobbing. Great, heaving sobs escaped me as I held onto the wall for support. I sank down in the corner, pulling my knees to my chest and burying my face in them. I continued crying for a long time until my head began pounding.

After what seemed like hours, I stopped. I looked up to see the room bathed in darkness. The single wire that held the ceiling fan up had snapped and the light had fused. The only light in the room came from the moon which shone from outside my window. I blinked at it, amazed by its beauty. And then I saw a glint in my room that distracted me.

My eyes followed the sparkle and I saw the bracelet my mother had given me lying on top of an upturned Mr. Tomkins. I crawled over to it, and picked it up. It gleamed in the light from the moon and I stared at it for a long while, feeling my heart rate settle to normal.

I put the bracelet back on and picked up Mr. Tomkins. Rifling through the debris, I found all of the pages of my mother's letter. I put them in the pocket of my jacket  and then stood up, walking to the door of my room. Without glancing back, I waved my hand and whispered a restoration spell. Then I walked out of my room, closing the door behind me as I heard the shuffling of sounds come from within. I grabbed my bag off the couch and then closed the door of my father's apartment behind me.

I needed to talk to Gerrard.

_______________________________________________________________________

A/N: Chapter 1! It's short, I know. But I want the conversation with Gerrard to be a chapter on its own since it will be important.

Caley's going through a storm of emotions. She clearly thinks that she's going to die. What do you think? Do you think she'll die?

Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought of chapter 1! Chapter 2 will be up soon, hopefully.

Also, don't forget to vote!

Thanks to SilverKey for the cover!

I think the picture and the song in the side work perfectly for this chapter.

XOXO