After Dr. Grey succeeded in stripping away the first wall holding the DID patients intact, the super-ego, they were pleased to find a more compliant subject. One that was less inclined to resist the shift between states. This made way for more desirable outcomes regarding their research; the shift in biochemistry. 

Three months in, April 1955, the subjects' behavior became more erratic. All the little quirks they usually tried to control started popping up more and more. It was hard to say whether it was due to the lack of proper sleep, nutrition, sunlight, or the overstimulation of their senses. It might very well have been an unhealthy dose of stir crazy on top of their normal level of crazy. This observation excited the team of white coats. They were getting closer.

Eight months in, December 1955, the lines confining their reality started to blur. The second wall, the ego, seemed to crumble away all on its own. This led to some mixed feelings amongst some of the white coats. The team had to move further away from the bunker when they settled down to sleep. The howls and otherworldly noises coming from the depths of the bunker became unsettling even to their creators. It was evident that the id, the true self, was now behind the steering wheel of these DID patients, and it drove them right of the edge of sanity.

It was during this stage that Dr. Marguerite van Dyk started feeling reluctant. The moral implications weighed her down and she started to crack along the edges. It unnerved her how one DID patient started changing his eye color during one of their sessions.

It was unnatural, and human rationale could not optimally process what it didn't understand. This shell of a human being stared at her with a blank expression. Then his eyes shifting from blue to brown, and whoever inside was making their appearance offered her an eerie smile instead. She was no longer talking to the same person.

The patients weren't violent, at first, they sat quivering like rats in their cages but as time progressed their aggression became more evident.

Soon they had to be restrained when handled just in case there was an outburst. These were orders from Dr. Gray himself, seeing that he was the unfortunate one that was scratched by a patient during such outburst.

In January 1956, another month passed during which Dr van Dyk endured about as much as she could handle. She suffered lack of sleep due to the maddening screams, audible from her sleeping quarters. It was something she could have dealt with a little while longer but, ultimately, it was the drastic decline in human behavior that broke her.

Some patients would sit in the dark corners of their cell, hissing, and growling as she walked by. Others would charge at her, banging their bodies against the thick glass until blood stained it and they would draw smiley faces in the red smears.

They became more animal than anything, defecating on the very floor they now chose to sleep on. Their movements became uncoordinated and they would sit and twitch for hours on end.

However, there was one patient that made her skin crawl more than the others and all their disturbing behavior combined. This patient was simply referred to as Frank, and he showed none of the animalistic signs. In fact, he seemed to have managed to hold on to his sanity. 

Frank silently observed her, following her movements with his eyes, he even offered her a crooked grin from time to time.

Frank seemed to be quite taken with the lovely Dr van Dyk, it would seem.

She had seen them change their eye color, alter the hue and texture of their skin, even repair tissue faster than humanly possible after being injured but she had yet to observe Frank shift. He did nothing abnormal. Could it be that he was misdiagnosed, that he was never a DID sufferer?