Challenges

Chapter 23: Challenges

MID'S POV

I woke up feeling very sore. My head was pounding, my eyes were glued shut, and my finger tips along with my ears were killing me. I slowly open my eyes to be blinded by a bright light. I blink rapidly, finally getting used to the light. I slowly sat up, rubbing my head trying to ease the pain in it. I look at my surroundings and see I'm in... the woods? I stand up and lean against a near by tree, groaning at the soreness that went through my body. That's when I finally looked own at my clothes and gasped. They were ripped and covered in... blood. I quickly look up, trying not to look at my current state as I walk out of the woods and to my house. I quickly jump up to my window and sneak in.

I run to my door and close it, locking it which made me break the door knob off. I heard a knock outside my door, making me look around the room in panic with the door knob in hand, trying to hide it. "Mid! You up?"I hear Jeremy ask. I throw the door knob out the window, making it go soaring into the sky out of sight. I stare in shock before answering. "Ya, I'm up. I'll be down in a minute." I hear his footsteps moving down the stairs before letting out a breath I was holding, which only made almost everything blow off of my dresser. I quickly shut my mouth, backing up and into the shower. Ok, maybe a hot shower will calm my nerves.

Once I was in there, I turned on the hot water and let it run down my body. The nice warm feeling I was expecting... was not what I got. I quickly turned it off as I felt the acid like water burned me. I switched it to cold and it felt a lot better, cooling my burning skin. I got out the shower and dressed in a white long sleeved- button up shirt and blue jeans. I comb my hair and let it fall into it's natural wave as I put on mascara and pink lipstick. I grab my bag and make my way to the door when I remembered I broke the door knob. I sighed, sticking a bobby pin in the key hole to unlock it and pull the door out of the doorway. I lightly close it behind me and make my way downstairs. I walk into the kitchen to see Jeremy watching the news.

"Hey, what's up?"I ask, leaning on the counter. "Apparently a couple got attacked last night."he says turning off the T.V. and walking into the kitchen. I stiffen. "What?"I ask. He nods. "Ya, a wolf attacked them they said. The guy, uh, Jack is in the hospital in a coma."he says simply. I gulp. "Hey, you ok?" he asked. I'm pretty sure I look very pale. I nod. "Ya, just tired. Let's get to school."I say and quickly make my way to the car. I hurt someone. I could have killed him.

~~~~~~~~~

I walked into class just as Alaric was about to shut the door. I grabbed it, pulling it out, smiling sheepishly at him. "Sorry."I say. He just nods. I quickly walk into the class, trying to ignore Elena and Stefan's eyes as I sat in the back. "Ok, this week we are going to set aside out regular curriculum for a lesson in local history as we approach Founder's Day."Alaric says walking to his desk. Elena looks at me with a worried expression, then my phone beeps. I hide it under my leg and opened it.

From: Twinny

Are you ok?

I just look up at her and fake a smile, nodding. She just rolls her eyes and turns to the front. "Apparently the community leaders feel that's more important than World War II, but hey, what do I know?"Alaric mumbles making me chuckle. Bonnie then walks into the classroom late. "Sorry I'm late."she mumbles walking to sit next to me in the back. "Looks like we will be at full occupancy today."Alaric says before sniffing the air. "Does anybody else smell dog?"he asked. I froze in my spot. "Hey, you ok?" Bonnie asked. I just nod, smiling at her. Alaric continues to talk while I just sit there, ignoring Stefan and Elena's stares.

I was walking with Bonnie and we were just talking about her trip. "So... I feel really guilty now. You're Grams died because of me and I'm not ok with that."I mumble. She shakes her head. "I'm not happy she died but it wasn't your fault Mid, I'm just glad you got out there ok."she said, but I still didn't believe her. I saw Elena coming and turned to Bonnie. "I gotta go, but I'll see you later?"I say already walking away. She nods and I take off, ignoring Elena calling my name. As I walked to my car, someone fell in step with me. I turned to see a smirking Damon there, making me roll my eyes. "What's up Salvatore?"I ask getting to my mustang. "Just wondering what happened to you last night."he said. I unlock my car and put my bag in the back.