Mommy Dearest

Play video for chapter.

Chapter 17: Mommy Dearest

For the past few days I have been at Damon's. Making sure he was ok, and well... doing what Damon does. He would act like nothing hurt him when Elena or Stefan were around but if it was just me, we'd sit down, have a glass of whisky, and he'd tell me all about them in 1864. It was rather sad, but I did my best to comfort him and I think he's slightly getting better. Well, other than the drunk mishaps when he thinks I'm Nataline. But, other than that, I think he's... Oh, who am I kidding? He is doing worse if I'm not there with him.

I was brought out of my mind rant by hearing Elena on the porch. I turned off my car and got out, to see her talking on the phone with someone. I walked up and moved her feet, sitting on the other side. I guess I scared her because she jumped while hanging up the phone. I laugh a little, laying my head back on the bench. "How's Damon?"she asked. I turn my head to look at her. "Sorry, Damon asked me not to say."I tell her then close my eyes. She laughed humorlessly. "What are you? His psychiatrist?"she jokes.

I smile and nod. "Yes, and I can't spread information with stupid twins."I sat still smiling, trying to get a rise out of her. Just as I predicted, she gasps and tries to hit me with a pillow but I grab it and hit her back, over and over. I hear someone come up the porch steps but don't stop. "Mid! Stop attacking your sister!"I hear Jenna shout. Me and Elena both laugh as I stop hitting her. She sticks her tongue out at me, causing me to roll my eyes as I stand up. "Ok, I'm going inside for some juice."I say and walk threw the door. I walked into the kitchen to see Jeremy there with a pot and a macaroni and cheese box. My eyebrows furrow as I walk in.

"Are you gonna make that?"I ask talking out the orange juice. He looks at me and smiles. "Nope, you are."he says pushing the things to me. I look at him with a raised brow, pouring my juice in a cup. He starts to pout, which he knows I always give into. I sigh. "Alright." I say, making him smile. He kisses my cheek and runs upstairs. I laugh as I hear him shout a 'WHOO' from upstairs.

I just finished making the mac and cheese when Elena and Jenna walk in. I put it in a bowl as Elena asks. "What's that?" I turn to her as I put the spoon in. "This is-" I get cut off by Jeremy taking the bowl from my hands. "-For me."he finishes running upstairs. I give Elena and Jenna a look of confusion, making them giggle as they head to the laptop. I shrug and walk over there with them. "What are you looking for?"I ask. "Jenna is going to tell us some stuff about Isobel."Elena says. I nod and look at the screen.

"Your dad kept everything from his medical practice. Records, logs, old appointment books. I found an entry from the night you were born."Jenna says taking out a book. "Patient and birth date?"I ask looking at it. She nods. "Yes. Isobel Peterson."she responds. "Do you think that's her real name?" Elena asks. I scoff. "For a teenage runaway, probably not. First name, maybe."I tell her shrugging. "But where'd she get Peterson? Classmate? Best-Friend?"I ask. "I looked it up. I searched for all the Petersons in this area born the same year as Isobel."she tells us binging 'Peterson'.

"Found three. Two male, one female. Trudie. Who lived in Grove Hill, Virginia."she tells us. "That's not far from here."Elena says. I back up a little. Ok, I need to breath. I could possibly find my birth mom but, am I ready for that? I mean, this lady abandoned us. I understand if she couldn't take care of us but, she could at least tried. I mean, I pretty much took care of myself over the years. Could she have done different? "And here is the address."Jenna tells Elena passing a piece of paper to her. Did I zone out that long? "What about Isobel?"Elena asks. "I couldn't find anything about her." Jenna says.

"Listen, there is something else. Mr. Saltzman, Ric, his wife was around here. And her name was also Isobel."she tells us. I walk up to her. "What do you mean 'was'?"I ask. "She died."she tells me. I gulp. Dead? No, I can't handle this. I start to walk to the door. "Mid-" Jenna tries to come after me. "No! Don't follow me!"I shout grabbing my jacket and slamming the door behind me.