Chapter 12: Diplomacy

Start from the beginning

I look at my phone it see that it's 0200, we have a mission in four hours to the Imperial Capital. I look back over at Kuribayashi who's already asleep and I'm glad she's in my life. I finally drift off back to sleep.

Time Skip Morning

Y/N POV:

I'm walking  with Kuribayashi to the helipad still feeling groggy but some coffee did help as we near the helipad. I take Kuribayashi aside to talk.

Y/N: Hey, I'm sorry about last night...The night terrors don't happen often but when they do it usually drives people away. It's how  a lot of my relationships have ended, I'll understand if you want to do the same.  

I brace myself for what I though she was going to say but she suddenly cups my face with her hand.

Kuribayashi: Hey, look at me.

I look directly into her eyes.

Kuribayashi: Is that why you asked me if I was sure about us?

Y/N: Yeah, I've got demons in me and my closet is full of skeletons and I don't  want to drag you down Shino.

She cups my face with both hands and gives me a smile.

Kuribayashi: Listen, don't ever think you're dragging me down. In fact I'm happy that you're opening up to me like this. If you ever want to talk about any of that I'll be waiting okay.

She props herself up and kisses me and I kiss her back after a few seconds she breaks it and we head over to the the helipad where some cargo is being loaded into a Chinook. Itami is checking everything with Yanagida and a diplomat named Todo.

Itami: Textiles... dishes and pots and pans and all sorts of kitchen stuff. Oh wow, you even got sake in here. Oh what's "Maker's Mark?"

Y/N: Bourbon, a little gift from the States along with other things. 

Yanagida: I'm pretty sure no one would mind if you went and took one.

Y/N: I might later.

Todo: Um I think I'll mind. All the stuff in these containers are like ammunition and weapons for us diplomats, okay?

Yanagida: Oh are you trying to tell me you've never once skimmed a bottle or two for yourself?

Todo: I'd never do such a thing.

Y/N: *coughs bullshit*

Yanagida unveils a cover to find crates of Alnus gold.

Yanagida: Ah, and this funds the operation.

Todo: Yeah, we managed to collect some local currency from the Alnus co-op. From grocery sales. And now we'll be able to put it to good use.

Yanagida: Should be highly effective in stabilizing and growing a developing country.

Y/N: Or bribing the right politicians.

Todo: Depends on the country, right? This definitely beats strong-arm tactics.

Y/N: Eh, agree to disagree sir.

Yanagida: Yeah, they saw what happened the last timed they threatened us.

Y/N: That body count speaks for itself Lieutenant.

Todo: And that's why you are never going to be and ambassador. We don't need to create any more unnecessary trouble. For now, I'll just focus on getting more peace-minded people to the table.

We get everything loaded as the Chinook revs up and prepares to take off.

Yanagida: Itami, L/N. Make sure it all get through.