She gives me directions and I write them down on paper. After I’ve ripped off the small piece of writing, I shove it in my pocket. I’m actually surprised that Ember hasn’t questioned what I’m doing at all.  I blame it on tiredness and narrow down my options of who can help me with my plan.

~~~

            “Just calm down, Rhyson,” I groan, following him along the trail. It takes me a few minutes to finally catch up to him. “I don’t understand why you’re mad at me!        He finally lets me fall into a walk beside him and runs his fingers through his hair. “I’m not mad at you. I just think that some random guy drugging Ember is bullshit.”

            For a little while, I debate what to say to him but come up with nothing. It’s not until we’re both sitting on the edge of the dock that I finally speak.

            “Why do you care so much about this?” He doesn’t meet my gaze and doesn’t speak so I continue. “If what happened between you guys means nothing to you, why do you get so worked up about her doing drugs?”

            “It does mean nothing,” he snaps, running his palm over his cheek. “I just don’t want her getting back into the drug habit. When she’s high, she loses control. If you knew some of the things she’s done…” he trails off, not wanting to say anymore.

            “Tell me what she’s done.”

            He finally meets my eyes, but I can’t tell how he’s feeling. His expression is blank.

            “It’s not for me to tell.” I start to get annoyed but he quickly continues. “There’s just a lot that you don’t know and honestly, if I were you, I’d be glad to not know.”

            He says no more and I decide not to push it. Leaning back on my hands, I stare out at the sun shining on the lake.

            “So you really stole a police car?”

            He laughs lightly, but doesn’t turn to face me. “Yeah.”

            “Have you stolen a regular car?” He nods and I smile. “So you know how to pick the lock and make it run without keys and all that?”

            “What are you up to, Gemma?” He sighs, but I can him grinning. I finally spill everything to him. The notes, the writing on my cast, the pictures at home. When I finally come to the part about Michelle and how I want to see Scarlett to find out what’s going on, he hasn’t said one word.

            “Are you sure you want to do this?”

            “Please don’t be against me too,” I groan. “I really need someone who thinks that this is a good idea.”

            “Just answer my question,” he replies, his voice giving away no answer. “Are you sure you want to do this?”