Chapter Fourteen

Fourteen

        “Kirsten is going to visit family this coming weekend, alright, Gemma?”

            I sigh happily, leaning against the wall in Michelle’s office.

            “Thanks, Dad. You don’t know how much easier this is going to make thing for me.”

            There’s a pause on the other end before he coughs and then acts like there isn’t something he’s hiding from me.

            “So how is everything going? Anything interesting happen?”

            I look down at my cast, the words that someone had written on it have been long scribbled out. Right in art class I took a permanent marker to it, never wanting to see the words again. Then I let everyone at camp sign it so that the blacked out words would be less noticeable. They’re not.

            “Nope, nothing at all,” I tell him, not wanting him or anyone else to know what’s going on. Someone’s just trying to get a rise out of me, trying to make me give them a reaction. We’re all bad kids here at Haven; someone is just playing a sick, stupid joke.

            “What time am I supposed to pick you up?”

            “Before dinnertime on Friday,” I explain. “Michelle has some things she wants to go over with the both of us before I leave. Just standard things.”

            Suddenly the door to Michelle’s office fly’s open and she strolls in. “Mind if I talk?” She mouths and I nod, holding up one finger to tell her just a second.

            “I have to go, but Michelle wants to talk to you. See you soon, Dad. Love you.”

            I hand the phone to Michelle before my dad can respond and walk out of the office without a backwards glance. I have mixed feelings about going home for the weekend. Sure, I’m thrilled that the step-monster isn’t going to be there, but I’m not happy with my dad. First of all, he sent me here which even though it benefits me, I can tell that this was Kirsten’s idea. Second, I know I’m going to have to face things I’m not ready for this weekend.

            “Gemma!”

            My head snaps up as footsteps sound from behind me. I had been so lost in my thoughts while I was walking on the trail, I hadn’t even realized that someone had been calling my name repeatedly.

            “Way to wait,” Rhyson laughs, slowing into step beside me. I open my mouth to apologize but he holds his hand up, stopping me. “I’m joking. I could tell you were pretty deep in thought. How’s your arm?”

            I hold my cast up and give him a small smile. I only have about two weeks left with it on, and I can’t wait until I never have to look at it again.