Chapter Eleven

Eleven

“Both Kirsten and I miss you very much, Gemma,” my father’s business-tone voice drifts through the phone and I roll my eyes. I bet Kirsten has already thrown a bunch of parties to celebrate the fact that I’m gone.

“I miss you too, Dad,” I mumble, leaning against the wall of Michelle’s office. She’s out in the main room, waiting for me to finish my call. When I never returned any of my father’s letters or even opened them, he got worried and decided to call.

“Are you excited to be coming home in a few weeks?”

“About that, I was wondering…” I trail off, wanting that this is going to work. “I was hoping that maybe Kirsten could go away for the weekend or something, maybe see her family?”

For a few moments there’s silence on the other end and then a long sigh.

“Now why would you want that?”

“I just want to spend quality time with you, Dad. You know Kirsten and I don’t really….” I pause, choosing my words carefully. “Get along. I just think it would be best for me to work on things if we did them just the two of us.”

“I don’t know, Gemma. She’s probably not going to want to leave.” His voice is strained, feeling torn between his new wife and his daughter. Why can’t he just be a good father and pick me for once?

“I’ll put it this way,” I tell him through clenched teeth. “You sent me here to get better. Part of my recovery is coming home to face the things I couldn’t before. If Kirsten won’t leave, I’m not coming home.”

“Fine.” His voice is angry but I take it as a victory. A small smile spreads across my face as I sink against the wall, feeling accomplished. “I just want what’s best for you, Gemma, and if this is how it’s going to have to be, I’m willing to do it this way for you.”

~~~

After I said goodbye to my dad, I headed down the trail towards the beach, happy to have some time to myself. It’s been over a week since the kiss with Danny, and nothing much has happened since. Sure, we’ve visited the island once more or twice, and maybe shared a few more kisses than that, but we’re still keeping things without a title.

Rhyson and I are actually starting to become better friends. In art class, he gives me ideas for Mellissa’s comic book while I actually try to teach him how to draw things that aren’t stick figures. Even though Ember hasn’t said much about this friendship, she still watches us closely, something different in her eyes that I still can’t place.

“Where are you heading?” Danny grins, throwing his arm around me and falling into step. Lunch just ended, so most of the kids are still in the Mess Hall, happy to have a break from the heat wave for some low budget air conditioning.

“The beach,” I shrug, looking up at him. For a moment, he looks unhappy. “Unless you have other plans?”

“I thought we might skip whatever class we have next and head to the island. Get some alone time.” He winks and I laugh, breaking eye contact. As my cabin comes into view, I stop abruptly, tripping him.

Leaning on the deck of the cabin is Ember, who’s obviously flirting. The guy’s back is turned to me but I recognize him. Ember giggles, playfully smacking the guy and letting her hand rest on his shoulder, stepping closer to him.

“Gemma?”

The guy grabs Ember’s arms, putting some space between them but it’s clear that he doesn’t mind her affection too much. In fact, it almost seems like he’s trying his hardest not to fall into her grasp. I watch as Ember rolls her eyes, spinning the guy around until he’s leaning against the railing of the deck, facing me. It’s then when I realize that it’s Rhyson.