Chapter Fifteen

Fifteen

        “You’ll be okay?” Rhyson asks, reaching out and grabbing my hand. I nod my head and give him a small smile, knowing that if I speak, I might burst into tears. “It will be good for you to get away. I’ll be here when you get back, I promise.”

            I nod again as my dad walks out of the office, Michelle in tow. He waves to me, signalling it’s time to leave. Even though it’s only Wednesday, our cabin was sent to stay with our families early and anyone else who felt they couldn’t be here. It turns out Scarlett was still alive when the paramedics got to her. I don’t remember anything, partially because I passed out from shock. But she’s in the hospital, unstable, but trying to make a recovery. No one is sure if she’s going to pull through or not, but until she does, her family refuses to let any police try to question her at this delicate time.

            “See you.” I walk into Rhyson’s open arms and he wraps me tightly in them. Things have escalated quickly between us. Since Ember and Melody were closer to Scar than I was, they both left earlier than I did. When I didn’t have anyone, Rhyson was there for me, and I’m thankful for that.           

            He kisses my forehead before walking me to the car. Holding the door open for me, he gestures for me to get inside.

            “I’ll miss you,” he whispers, giving me a sad smile before closing the door.

            The car quickly moves out of the parking lot and soon I’m watching Rhyson fade away in the rear view mirror. I expect him to walk away the moment I’m moving, but he doesn’t. In fact, he stays standing there, watching me go until I turn around the bend and I can’t see him anymore. I have a feeling that though I’m out of his sight, he’s still standing there, watching.

            “How’s your arm?” Dad practically grunts, trying to make conversation so there isn’t an awkward silence.

            “Fine, I guess,” I mumble, turning to look out the window. “How’s home?”

            “It’s good,” he nods. “I’ve been pretty busy with work so I can take these days off to spend time with you. Anything you want to do while you’re back home?”          He turns to give me a small smile, but something about it looks strained.

            “Nothing in particular,” I shrug. “Maybe we can just spend some time together?”

            “Sure, honey.” He pats my shoulder but something about the gesture seems forced.

            The whole ride home is practically silent. I watch out my window, watching the trees and fields go by like a movie. After all I’ve been through in the past few days, you’d think that my dad would hug me, wrap me in his arms and tell me that everything is okay. However as I peek at him from the corner of my eye, I can see that he refuses to even look at me.

            “We’re here.”