Thirty-four

Just as Jinyoung expected, when he stepped out of the portal he found both Alex and Mark throwing up on the grass. He took the time to notice how green it was, such a bright and beautiful colour. You never realise how amazing a colour is until you've been robbed off the delight of seeing it. Instantly, Jinyoung smiled.

"I missed when it looked like this. Wonderland is supposed to be colourful and welcoming. Not dull and a gloomy grey."

He wasn't speaking to anyone in particular but Alex was listening nonetheless.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"There was an evil King that controlled Wonderland many centuries ago. The citizens eventually killed him in the dark woods. Naymoor Woods, it was called. You might remember hearing it before. We first met there."

"We didn't first meet on Earth?"

"Nope. A Dark Knight was about to kill you but I saved you. You're welcome."

"Why was I there?"

"You'll remember soon enough. Now where was I? Oh right. King Naymoor's Spirit became the King of the afterlife but then a princess and a prince opened the gates and allowed him into this life again as a Spirit. So he took control of Wonderland again and ruined it."

"Why did they open the gates?" Mark asked.

"Selfishness drove them to do it. The Prince wanted the throne, the Princess wanted to get revenge on a Queen. She also wanted to be Queen."

"Sounds like on of those fairytales my parents used to read to make me fall asleep," Alex laughed.

"Most stories in Wonderland are like that... Even the darkest stories are just everyday novels for you Earthlings."

"Well we don't have Spirits on Earth."

"But you have something worse. Politics."

"Fair enough," Alex shrugged. "So when am I going to meet this person Jackson mentioned?"

"Soon. We need to plot out the best meeting. We also need to think about the battle."

"Battle? I didn't sign up for a battle."

"Oh right, I forgot to mention something. King Naymoor's Spirit is still on the loose. They let him out weeks prior to this day."

"You have got to be kidding me..." Mark huffed before looking back at the portal that had just closed up. "Where's Jackson?"

"He needed to go to Skilt first. Apparently there is someone there that needs to help us. She was the one who helped him go back in time. In the meantime, we camp out in my hut. And you guys aren't allowed out, got it?"

"Sure," they said in unison. And with that, Jinyoung teleported them and himself to his hut. Time for the planning to begin.

***

Jackson walked through the streets of Skilt, a skip in his step as he smiled at people walking past. After a year of sulking everyday, actually sharing the people's happiness made him feel complete.

"One big cappuccino and a caramel and toffee-fudge muffin please," he ordered at his favourite nearby café in Skilt. I must remind you that everything in Skilt tastes better than Earth food and is healthy and organic.

"Coming right up," the barista smiled at him. He skipped his way to the table in the corner and pulled out his laptop and started tapping away at the keys.

"Just a vanilla muffin for me," a voice was heard from the counter and soon someone sat opposite him.

"Good morning, stranger," the person said, grinning. "Not sure if we've met before. I'm Amber."

Jackson chuckled as he looked at her.

"I don't believe we have. I'm Jackson."

"So, are you from Skilt or just hanging around here. You look more like an Earthling to me."

"I'm from Skilt but spent a long time in Earth."

"How long is long?"

"Over a hundred years... In fact, almost two hundred years now."

"Two hundred years? Humans can't live that long... So you're a witch?"

Jackson simply facepalmed.

"Why are we doing this?"

"Hey, I don't know what you're talking about. This is normal for people who just met each other."

"Seriously Amber?" He smiled. "Naymoor is still out there roaming Wonderland and here we are redoing our first conversation."

"Technically it failed because the café was supposed to be full. You were supposed to be watching me walk in with a glare. I was supposed to walk up to you and say 'what are you looking at?'. You were supposed to say 'you'. Then I sit down and we begin to ask each other about whatever."

"Well, I'm sorry I screwed it up."

"You better be. What are you looking at anyway?"

"A plan Jinyoung sent me."

"About what? Alex and Hyunjin or Naymoor?"

"Naymoor. Alex and Hyunjin aren't as important as him."

"That's until Alex kills herself and you ask what happened. By the way, thanks to you I had to start my brewing all over again."

"I thought you never wanted to go back to Scolxer."

"I don't. It's just there in case something happens again. Just imagine if my water was only five days old, I bet none of this would have happened."

"Yeah. Anyway, should we go to Wonderland now?"

"Wait. I haven't even had my muffin yet. I'm starving. Time travelling is hard work."