Chapter 28: Public

STAN's POV

I'm finally back at work one week later. It felt like forever I was gone, even though I was still working from home. But I'm back now and have a lot of work to do. Mainly one important phone call I need to make. Lori isn't back to work yet and I'm sure she's at home going crazy so I need to act fast.

When I finally have some time I call an old business friend Bea Thompson. Mine and Bea's companies run in the same sale business circles and we do a lot of business together.

Hello

"Hey there jelly bea."

Stan you know I hate when you call me that

"You know you love it."

Ugh what do you want you headache

"I need a favor."

LORI's POV

It's the end of the week and my job still hasn't called me back to work. I told them my doctor cleared me forever ago. What the hell is going on?

Should I call them again? Should I just go up there? I'm going crazy just sitting here with nothing to do.

I'll just ask Stan about it on our date tonight.

To keep from going mad I just go for walks, read a book, or watch tv. Later in the day while watching the news I see Joseph's face. They did a news special on his trail. He has a calm face on like he's confident he did nothing wrong.

Joseph lied about everything in court. He said that him and Stan were old business partners and that he came by to talk about some old business they had but the situation got out of hand. That Stan threatened him and that's why he pulled his gun.

I rolled my eyes at his bullshit. Who would believe any of that?

And when they asked about the "mystery girl" he claimed to not know who she(I) was. He said that she(I) must of been the help and that she(I) threw myself at him to distract him from the argument.

I threw a pillow at the tv and it almost fell over. He is such a pig and a liar. A part of me wishes that me and Stan weren't excused from the trail so I could of been there to expose his lies. But I'm also glad I wasn't there. I'm not sure if I could of handled seeing him in person again. Plus I was glad they kept my identity hidden. I don't want this situation to be attached to me.

Anyway, with the video footage that Stan happily gave the police none of his lies were believed. The footage showed him breaking into the house, not being let in. Even with no sound, it showed no signs of Stan threatening Joseph's life. Joseph was charged $25000 and sentenced to 3 years in prison for breaking and entering and attempted assault.

Right before I turned the tv off the camera flashed to Joseph's wife. She wasn't crying or running to Joseph for one last hug or even shaking her head. She just sat there. She looked tired and broken. But also a sign of hope, that she finally has found the courage to leave her cheating husband. And I hope that she does.

And that's all the energy I gave to my past. I turned the tv off and started to get ready for my date. I shower and put on a long red dress and silver jewelry. Stan said it was a really fancy place so I wanted to make sure I didn't stick out in a bad way.

Stan knocked on my door and we were off on our first real date in what felt like forever. We're seated immediately after Stan tells the host his name. The place is huge and a man is in the middle of the room playing piano.

"You like it?" Stan asks me.

"It's beautiful." I smile and we order our food. I wait a little longer and have small talk with Stan until I finally ask what's been on my mind all night.