I'll Be The One Laughing

Feel free to leave comments and advice and I'll respond!

Dedicated to CaitlinHeart, who helped me write the story!

____________________________________________________________________________

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be the most popular girl in school? To be the girl the other girls envied and all the guys wanted?

Well I didn't have to. I was the it girl. No, this isn't one of 'those' stories with another cliché where the popular girl falls in love with the hot geek and they have to hide it from everyone but eventually their secret is revealed, or the popular girl who hates her life and wishes she was invisible. I loved being popular. I was the head cheerleader of the best cheer squad in the state, a grade A student with amazing friends. In fact my life was pretty much perfect until I found out the secrets my parents had been keeping from me. I was adopted.

"What?" I shouted? "I'm adopted?" I felt the whole world pause in the moment. My hands covered my face, and I started manically crying. I couldn't believe it. I felt betrayed.

"We were going to wait until you were eighteen to tell you but-"

"But you didn't want to lie to me anymore?" I interrupted. "Bullshit! You could have told me anytime you wanted, so why now?".

My parents looked at each other. "Well," my mom stammered "your parents- your biological ones, want to meet you. Actually, they have three children of their own now". I froze. I didn't know what to do so I done what I always do and hastily ran up to my room and decided not to come out until the next morning.

I couldn't believe it. An hour ago I was at the mall with my friends. Flirting with the boys and talking about shoes with the girls. Now I didn't know who I was. My whole life was a lie. I never had any reason to believe I was adopted, I'm actually the spitting image of my mom, but I've got my dad's eyes. Growing up, everyone, even family would exaggerate how much we looked alike. I sometimes wonder if they even knew.

I didn't come out of my room during the weekend, only for meals. When I did come downstairs, it was too awkward. It was like being in a box and having no way of getting out. I coughed to break the ice, although I'm barely sure they noticed me. For the first time in my life, I actually felt like I didn't belong.

When Monday came, and I put on my cheerleader costume, I felt so much different, like a better version of myself. Everyone's worst day of the week, turned out to be my favourite. When I stepped through the gates, I wasn't the girl who sat at home all weekend with her face in a tub of Ben&Jerry's; I was the one who everyone thought had the perfect life.

In between classes I started to think about it more and more. So I told my best friend, Danielle about it. Well I had to, I told her everything. She was shocked. She was always at my house and was one of the people who would point out how much I looked like my mom. She was like my adopted sister. Irony, right? After getting it off my chest, I felt free to continue the day as normal: class, lunch, cheer practice, then a quick trip to the mall.

The next day, I noticed people staring and pointing to me. I presumed it was just idle gossip. After a while as head cheerleader, you kind of get used to it. According to the school newspaper I was expecting a beautiful baby boy a few summers back. But after a while I started to wonder if it was something I had done. As I sat down at the lunch table, I heard a bunch of girls starting to shout "Freak!" at me. I was so confused.

"Hey, Taylor!" my ex-boyfriend Jamie shouted from afar, 'Is it true you're adopted?!" Everyone started to look and laugh at me. It was clear who told everyone my secret. I was fuming. I wanted to walk over to Danielle and rip those bleach blond extensions out of her hair. Still, I knew that it wouldn't help. Everyone knew my secret now. So that's how I went from the popular girl at the top of the school's social list, to an outcast at the bottom. I was known as the 'freak', the 'unwanted' one. All of the people I thought were my friends, turned out to be two faced back stabbers. I lost my place on the cheer squad and my grades slowly fell from an A to a D.. And then to an F.

So here I am, packing my bags to go and meet my biological parents in California. At first in was slightly apprehensive about it, but I figured it couldn't possibly be worse than my life in Tennessee. It's kind of of exciting. I'd never really had much family. I'm an only child and all of my cousins either have kids or are kids. At the airport, my 'dad' explained how I didn't have to go through with it and I could still come home, but I ran on that plane quicker than 50 Shades of Grey flew off the shelves! I had to take the chance- a leap of faith, because I couldn't spend my life wondering what could have been. I'm going to prove to everyone that they're wrong. Then the joke will be on them. And I'll be the one laughing.