Chapter Twenty Two~ Ones Misery is Luck for another

Umbra's whole body trembled with rage and fury, his eyes seemed to glow like embers behind  the silver-mask, his black, gold trimmed cloak flailing in the gusts of winds that passed through the giant hole in the metal wall of the Stasis Chamber.

Ever since Dr.Raith had , given him the report about the DarkCore's rather odd change, nothing had been going well.

Umbra slammed his fist into the the wall, putting a rather fearsome dent into it.  When he had heard the sound of glass shattering, he had rushed to the Stasis Chamber with some Drones and a very nervous Dr.Raith.

By the time they had shutdown the force-field on the door and entered the room it was to late. They had just entered in time to see the Conduit spread his wings  and escape.  Umbra clenched his teeth, holding back a stream of curses.

He lifted his gaze from the shattered glass on the floor and looked through the hole, he could just see the small form of the Conduit, it was headed towards the SpacePort!

Umbra turned away from the hole, and grabbed Dr.Raith violently by the collar, Dr.Raith shivered with fear at his masters angry gaze.

"WHY ARE YOU JUST STANDING HERE?, THE BLOODY CONDUIT HAS ESCAPED!, CAPTURE HIM BEFORE HE GETS AWAY!, FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION! NOW GO!"   Umbra screamed with unbridled fury, his very being seemed to glow with a very dangerous aura.  He threw Dr.Raith onto the ground, and turned towards the Drones, " You drones are nothing but scraps of metal if you do not get the conduit back!"  he yelled angrily a the Drones, they gave Umbra a quick salute.

Dr.Raith took the Drones  and teleported out of the room and into his black ship the [Serpent].

Umbra watched the black ship fly from the top of the tower, its thrusters at full speed.  Umbra turned and quickly left the shattered and ruined chamber.

His mind racing with dark thoughts, Umbra may be the ruler of the planet, but he answered to even higher masters.

And Umbra's masters, did not take failure well, Umbra brought his hand up to the silver-mask he wore. His masters had done something to his face, making it grotesque, as a punishment for failing one of the many tasks they had layed out before him.

He painfully remembered all to well, He remembered his masters shadowy hand grabbing his head and denigrating the skin from his upper face.

Umbra suddenly stopped walking, his body trembling, he could still hear his agonized screams, the blood rushing down his face....

Umbra shook his head,pushing down those horrible memories. If Dr.Raith failed....Umbra shuddered, he continued walking but at a slower pace, heading towards the Telepad, that allowed easy access to the many floors of the tower. 

You see Umbra did not get all this power in a single night.  Umbra was created from the remains of a forgotten god.  Umbra had once asked his masters who the god had been, in return for that question he had been whipped and beaten.   He never asked again, or questioned his masters.

Umbra's Masters where the original race of H_Q, Umbra did not know much about them accept they where definitely not of this Universe. 

They had not true bodies, they where completely made out of shadows, a darkness so thick it could become solid at will.  No light of any kind could penetrate there bodies, they where ancient in age, there evil was as boundless as the stars. 

Umbra's first memory of his new life, was waking up in some sort of dark, leathery cocoon.  Weird and fleshy looking machines surrounding him, a dark mist covered the wet and slimy looking floor of the chamber he had awoken in. Tendrils and tubes of a dark gassy substance, were being pumped into the cocoon he was being held in.  

He remembered how empty he had felt....like something had been taken from him...something important.  His mind was blank, as if it all previous memories had been erased, Umbra recalled the strange tears falling down his face when he awoke. He was puzzled at that, it had been so long since that day.

Umbra stepped down from the Telepad and walked towards  his office.    The automatic door opening at his presence .

Suddenly the interface on his office desk, turned on. Umbra quickly moved to his desk the door shutting behind him.  He sat down and looked at the blinking screen, what he saw made his heart sink in dread.

The message had been a recording  from the [Serpent], it showed a Spaceship escaping  Dr.Raith at a blinding speed.   Umbra slammed his fist into the desk, cracking the black marble surface.

"....Shit...."    he said with clenched teeth,  the next few days for him were not going to be nice.

Now that the Conduit had escaped, it would take days..no months to find them again, the DarkCore had a way of hiding its signature from radars and trackers....Only trackers of Lost Tech could trace its signal.   

And those were extremely rare to find, even for him. Umbra relaxed his body, slumping in defeat. He looked outside, from he office window, just like the dark landscape, he to  lived  a life of suffering.