The Pick Up

Chanel Pov

I was getting Keem ready to go over to Ms. Regina's house for Sunday dinner. He's been begging me to go all week so I decided to be a good big sister and take him over there. Plus it wouldn't hurt to try and spend a little time with Roddy since I barley ever see him.

My mom was going on another date with this James dude so she's not coming with us. Lately she's been with James on all of her off days, but I'm happy that she's happy and from what I saw when I met him he's the perfect gentleman and a nice guy all together, but it's always like that at first so I'll be keeping my eye out for him.

I put on a black dress that had floral print all over it. I put some leave in conditioner in my now curly hair and applied some lip gloss.

I paired the dress with a jean jacket since I would be inside and it's always pretty warm no matter what time of day it is. And I put on pink sandals to match the pink flowers and a matching pink purse. I dressed Hakeem and brushed his hair.

"You all set?" I asked Hakeem.

"Don't forget the flowers!" He said real excitedly. We had bought a bouquet of roses to thank Ms. Regina for inviting us to dinner.

"Alright I'm getting them. Calm down." I said laughing. I grabbed the flowers and we walked out the door and over to Ms. Regina's house.

*knock knock*

"Look who we have here." Ms. Regina said opening the door with a big smile. When I tell you this lady didn't look a day over 50 when my mom told me she was 65 I was shocked.

"Hi Ms

"Hi Ms. Regina. We got you flowers." Hakeem said handing her the roses.

"Aww thank you baby. And come on in I'm setting the table now." She opened the door wider and let us in. The house immediately smelt like some amazing food.

"Hakeem the kids are in the play room. Chanel you can come with me to the kitchen." She said locking the door and leading me to her kitchen which I had never seen.

"Hey Chanel." Jasmine said pouring the macaroni from the pan into the serving dish.

"Hey girl." I washed my hands as Ms. Regina put the Roses in some water.

"What can I help with?" I asked.

"Here are some plates and silverware. You can set the table." She said while getting some dinner rolls out of the oven.

I grabbed the stack of plates and took them to the dining room table which had a huge opening which showed the living room where there was a football game on the television and couches and chairs took up by a group of boys that included Roddy and Joshua.

"Wassup stranger." Roddy said coming over to the table and helping me distribute the silverware and plates.

"Hey I haven't seen you in a while. Where you been?" Every time me and Jasmine would hang out for the past couple of weeks I wouldn't ever run into Roddy. Seeing as though me and him are next door neighbors, it's a little strange I haven't seen him.