Initiation

Chanel
It was now Friday morning and my mom was at work. Hakeem was in his room doing whatever and I was in my room bored out of my mind. It's so weird being in a place where you know absolutely nobody.

If I was still in high school it would be less hard to meet people. I can't just walk up to someone on the street and be like "hey I'm Chanel I'm new here. Wanna be friends." So until I meet some people imma be bored as hell.

"Hakeem!" I yelled. I heard his little feet tapping on the ground coming towards my room. He peeked his head inside my door.

"Wanna go to the park?" I asked. He instantly got excited and I knew that was a yes

"Go put your shoes on." I knew it was a park across the street from the market. I wasn't gonna meet anybody by sitting in the house and I didn't want Hakeem to sit in the house wasting a beautiful day so that kilt two birds with one stone.

"I'm ready." He said running back in the room. I got up and threw on my Fanny pack so I didn't have to carry a purse and walked out the door with Hakeem.

"What do you want to do at the park?" I asked Hakeem.

"Imma get on the swings then go down the slide. Then we can play tag." He screamed. As we walked I felt like everyone outside was staring at me. Maybe that was just how they looked out here but it seemed like the farther I walked the more people who were looking at me crazy. I decided it was because I was a new face.

I turned the corner and it was the house with all the niggas on the outside. When we walked passed they all had the mug on their face too. I locked eyes with the boy from the store with the hazel eyes. I kept walking but he got up and walked over to me.

Roddy

"Wassup I saw you the other day in the store right?" I said catching up to the girl walking with the little boy.

"Yeah I think so." I could tell she wasn't from here cause she had a little bit of an accent. I couldn't tell where she was from tho.

"I came over here to tell you, you can't wear that over here." She looked at me weird and stopped walking.

"You see everybody looking at you all crazy?" She looked back at all the niggas on the porch of the trap and back at me still confused.

"I don't get it." She said. I chuckled a little bit.

"This is the crip projects. You out here with all this red on and nobody know you. They don't really know how to take that." She nodded her head a little bit.

"Oh I'm not with all that gangbangin shit." She said.

"Well they don't know that cause they don't know you. Come here let me introduce you." I motioned for her to walk over to the porch with me.

"By the way I'm Roddy." I said turning back to her as she followed behind me to the porch.

"I'm Chanel."

"And I'm Hakeem!" The little boy yelled.

"Wassup." I gave little dude a high five as we walked up to everybody on the porch.

"Aye, everybody this is Chanel and Hakeem. They not from out here."

"Hey everybody." She said waving. Most of the tension eased up a bit after she started talking.

"Where yall from?" JNew asked her.

"Miami." She said.

"Where y'all headed?" I asked her knowing she didn't wanna spend her day talking to us on this porch.