The Struggle

This is a sort of sneak peak of my new story, The Struggle. It's a Batman fan fiction. Me and my friend Brooke (@BrookeErinMelton) both decided to start them, but they are very different, but both just as awesome ;) Suzanne is my original character, and will be played by Phoebe Tonkin. Please enjoy this little teaser as it were, and let me know if you want the first chapter!!

*

Being alone makes people do stupid things. Me? When I got the chance to stop being lonely, I became a master thief, just to have company. The thrill of getting away with a heist, to see the smile on my friend’s face when we returned back to her hide-out with the loot; those were just bonuses. 

But I don’t want that life anymore. Yet as hard as I try, the darkness of the night is still in my heart, and is determined to pull me back into that life. But could love save me from destroying my life?

*

“Destiny isn’t easy to run from.” I said, sitting across the rooftop from Selina. 

“That’s why we run faster, kitten. And we decide our own destiny. You know that.”

*

“What is it that you mean, because if I’m being honest, you stopped making sense a while ago?” 

Bruce was barely inches away from me now, somehow managing to eliminate the space between us without me realising it. He cupped my face, tilting my head up so he could look into my eyes.

“I mean…oh screw it.” I said, winding my arms around his neck, and pressing my lips to his feverishly. 

*

“You aren’t little Suzie Dawn! You’ve grown up beautifully, sweetheart,” Mr Fox chuckled, wrapping his arms around me in a friendly hug. “I still remember that little French braid you always wore.”

*

“Why do you wear your hair in a French braid as the Dark Vixen?” Bruce asked me, tracing the contours of my spine with his index finger.

“It’s a reminder of my mother‘s murder. She braided my hair that night too. I never wore my hair in a braid after that night; one of many things I stopped doing,” I said, turning onto my side to face him. “That and it keeps my hair out of the way while I’m stealing things or beating the crap out of thugs.”

*

“Let’s run away.” I said.

“We can’t.”

“What you’re saying is you can’t. Bruce, one day you’re going to realise that Gotham will be okay without the Batman, and what if I’m gone by then? I will stand by you through anything, as Suzanne Dawn and the Dark Vixen, but what will you do if Gotham stops needing you and I’m dead?”

*

“You’ll die, you know.” The Riddler said.

“One day, but that won’t be for a long time.” I replied, keeping my eyes forward, no longer bothering to struggle with my restraints.

“What makes you so sure?”

“Because, despite his dedication to this city, when I need saving, I know the Batman will be there. And if he’s too busy saving Gotham, I’ve always got other options.” I smirked, as the Riddler looked confused.

“Other options?”

“She’s talking about me, Edward.” Selina smiled at me, over his shoulder, before knocking him out.

*

“Gotham doesn’t need The Dark Knight alone. Gotham needs the Batman to have someone by his side.” Alfred told Bruce, as I listened in.

“I work alone, Alfred. It’s better that way.” Bruce replied.

“You and Miss Dawn make a good team, Master Bruce. You could let her work with you as the Dark Vixen, and you’d be able to do more good.”

“It’s not safe for her, Alfred.”

“What you mean is you’re afraid she’ll get hurt. Miss Dawn has proved that she can withstand pain, Master Bruce. She’s tougher than she looks, and she’s already been doing this before you did.” Alfred insisted.

“It’s not safe for her, Alfred, because the Joker wants her. And he’ll do anything to get her.”

“You’ve got to trust that she can look after herself, Master Bruce. Let her work with you.”

“Gotham needs me to be able to just save it without thinking. That’s why I can’t ask her to join me, because if it came down to it, and I needed to save Gotham, or save her, I would choose her! And millions of people would die because of my selfishness!”

*

“Puddin’, why’d ya want Dawn anyways? She’s nothin’ special.” Harley’s thick Brooklyn accent demanded.

“Because, Harley, she is special. And dangerous.” The Joker replied, before launching into his loud cackle of a laugh.

“How dangerous?”

“Dangerous enough to destroy Gotham and kill the Bats!”

*

Life is full of tough choices. Which side do you choose? Sometimes the lines between good and evil become blurred, and picking a side becomes difficult. That’s the struggle.

*