bruises ache.

"i thought i told you to leave it alone? " her voice was stern, not as soft as it usually was and you couldn't help but feel slightly guilty for being the cause. her blonde hair was covering the side of her face, so you couldn't really guess what expression she was wearing - but you were pretty convinced it wasn't a happy one. wincing, you lowered your hand from the purple coloured bruise that was starting to form just below your rib cage. sitting on the biobed in the med bay of the tardis only in your bra and jeans wasn't exactly the most awkward position you had ever been in. the doctor was continuing to patch up one of the many cuts that were on your person, at the front of your shoulder, dabbing it with the alcohol wipe, before pressing the gauze over it ... and sticking it on rather hard. a huff escaped your lips in pain.

" it hurts, " you mumbled trying to focus on the wall just behind the blonde's shoulder before she stood up straighter (clearly finished with your front wound) and without looking at you, moved to sit behind you on the bed. it hadn't exactly been a most successful adventure, you had gotten hurt. again. but this time it was for a good cause. you knew that the doctor could look after herself, christ you knew that so well but it was just a reflex, something you couldn't help when the person threatening her was a human.

you just felt the ... need.

" i thought i also said don't get into any more trouble. " she was ignoring you know as well. that was a - a very bad sign. you felt a cool hand brush against your neck, moving your hair over the shoulder that hadn't been injured, causing a shiver to rush down your spine. you winced again as you felt the needle pierce through the taut skin, a soft whine escaped the back of your throat and you heard the doctor grunt. your heart tugged, you were in big trouble. " i don't understand why nobody listens to me. " the time lord grumbled then. " honestly thought that this was a face everyone would listen too. "

" i'm sorry... " a whisper so soft you thought she wouldn't have caught it, but well - gallifrayen ears were scarily good.

" sorry doesn't make these disappear, [y/n] " the ache of the bruise on your lower back caused you to jump. she'd poked at it with her finger. oof. " i don't need protecting, that's my job. your job is to listen to me when i tell you to do something. " really ... really angry now. " you could have been killed and there would have been nothing... "

" ow ! " it was like the doctor had stopped realising what she was doing and the needle had stabbed into your skin a little too hard. a soon as you voiced your pain - the sting was gone and so was the time lord, who had moved off the bed and away from you towards the bench that was littered with medical supplies and tools. trying to look over your shoulder, you managed to spot that it wasn't bleeding and that the doctor had actually managed to close the wound.

[e/c] eyes moved back to focus on the slightly taller than you time lord. she was leaning against the bench, her hands gripping the edges. her shoulders were tense. " sorry. " you heard her mumble.

" it's okay. " your eyes stayed on her - taking in the way she was trying to even out her breathing. it was silent, the only noise that was breaking it was the gentle hum from the tardis around you and even then she seemed to be doing so quietly, like she didn't want to disturb the two of you. " i just ... " you begun, which caused the doctor to straighten up. " i hate feeling useless. "

the doctor spun on her heel and your back straightened as well, you didn't expect her to react so quickly. " you are not useless, [y/n] [l/n] " you could suddenly feel warmth rush into your cheeks. a scoff escaped your lips, and the doctor shook her head. " you're not. who told you that ? " her voice wasn't as stern, and the relief that flooded through you was immense. " i take so many kinds of people aboard and you are by far the most extraordinary and useful human i have ever met. "

a brow raised on your forehead and another scoff escaped you as you shifted on the bed. pulling one leg up, wincing while doing so - your stomach had folded and your knee had nudged against the aching bruise on your ribs. your gaze had moved to focus at your lap instead of staring at the doctor. " oh, i'm not that brilliant. " you knew that she was going to interrupt you, but you continued faster than she could make another sound. " aliens and monsters and space stuff is your thing. " you lifted your gaze, noticing that the doctor had walked towards you again. " but humans ... that's me, that's something that i can do. " humanoids at least. a colony that had left earth a hundred years prior, hadn't taken too kindly to the doctor trying to correct whatever backward political system they had and almost killed her - but you had stepped in and took the blows for her. " when it comes to humans, i don't feel so .. useless. "

all the while, the doctor had moved to sit next to you on the bed once more, her thigh brushing against yours. she was silent and you could practically see the cogs in her head turning. " that doesn't make you useless, [y/n] " her voice was quieter than before and she grabbed onto your hand, fingers winding through yours, before resting them in her lap. " never think that just because you can't seem to work aliens out means you are useless. " her free hand came up and pushed loose hair behind your ear. " you are the super glue that keeps this gang together. " you laughed at that. " well - when i say super glue, i mean something far less annoying and painful when you get some on your skin. "

her hazel eyes focused on the side of your face, as your own eyes kept watch over your linked hands. also trying desperately hard to not focus on the fact that you were practically half naked still, which caused you to completely miss her face becoming serious once more. " just don't ever put yourself in harms way because of me again. " your teeth gnawed at the corner of your lip, as eyes met hers and you swallowed. then you nodded your head. " i don't want anything to happen to you, [y/n]. we have so much of the universe to see together. " lips tugged into a small smile before you moved and rested your head against her shoulder.

" i know. i want to see everything with you. "