peppermint tea.

you had been surprised at how big the tardis really was. you knew that the doctor had told you that it was bigger on the inside and that there were multiple rooms and levels and so many more layers that not even she could remember where everything was. but you had no idea that it was ... this big. and it was being spoiled by the tardis, that coming home was always a jarring experience - stepping into your three bedroom apartment just didn't have the same effect that it use to have when you first bought it.

however, when it was filled with the four other people that you had gotten so close with, it seemed so cramped and full - it was nice ... you liked it. a lot. especially after just moving out of your parent's house, being on your own seemed lonely some days. smiling over the lip of your bright green mug (where your steaming hot tea was) you watched the others as they conversed and your heart seemed to sore. what a ragtag bunch of people you all were - considering ONE was alien. they'd just come back from an adventure, they were trying to tell you about it, but ryan kept interrupting yaz and graham was just annoyed by ... the death turtles. which the doctor kept apologising for.

being bedridden sick was the worse thing that could have happened after getting to know the doctor. she was adamant that you NEEDED to stay home for the next couple of trips, hell even the next couple of weeks - and that ... pumping you full of alien drugs, just wasn't good for your body, or your immune system anymore.

the medication you were currently on wouldn't really blend well with anything alien.

with your mug securely in your hand, you had managed to wriggle away from the group, who had moved on from the trip, to complaining about the latest episode of grey's anatomy and out onto your balcony, over looking the river. the floods had certainly done a number on it, the brown colouring still floating on top of the water, but you honestly loved to watch the waves, and the boats that sailed past - no matter the colour the water was. mid-july was always freezing cold, but the hot liquid (plus the peppermint smell) helped warm you up and soothe your sore insides. cars mulled past and you could hear the faint conversations of those walking underneath you.

sitting down in your favourite arm car, you bathed yourself in the setting sunlight. heaving in a deep breath - it was a city smell, but the peppermint was strong enough to cancel it out.

your ears perked up slightly as you heard the sliding door open and you just knew that it was the doctor who was stepping out to join you. it was strange - her appearance and her asking you to travel with her them, seemed to have happened so quickly, but you would never take it back. a cool hand pressed against your forehead, which caused your eyes to slide shut and a grunt to escape your lips. you heard a hum escape her lips and then the whirring of the sonic. the hand moved and ran through your hair and that had your eyes opening again.

" i'm fine. " was the first thing out of your lips, watching the doctor closely, who was watching her sonic just as closely, before green eyes snapped to look at you. her lips pursed and her faced scrunched before she moved to fall onto the two-seater couch across from you.

" you're still warm. " came her response, eyes watching you in return. you tried not to shift under her gaze. she was worried. " [y/n], have you been taking those tablets that you were given ? " another sip of tea and you ignored her. you were fine there was nothing wrong with you.

nothing that you didn't know already.

" how is it that you're able to brew the perfect cup of tea ? " the doctor knew that you were changing the subject.

" oh i'm pretty good at tea. " the time lord replied, leaning back against the couch - the cold breeze ruffling her short blonde hair in front of her eyes. a smirk crossed your lips as you leaned forward and placed your mug on the small coffee table. " although i am pretty sure i invented iced tea a couple of centuries early a few years back. " and she rambled when you weren't feeling up to answering her questions.

but she never forgets. the doctor was good at getting the answers from you soon enough.

" the tardis brewed it, didn't she? " though it didn't stop you from having a little fun.

" oi ! i'm pretty good at tea. " a brow raised on your forehead, as you tried to stuff a laugh back into your throat. she huffed and rolled her eyes. " alright fine, but i still remembered what you liked. " the doctor's face turned smug. " peppermint with a dash of honey and sugar. the old girl didn't have a clue. " if you could distract her enough from you being sick, well maybe she'd stop worrying.

you knew a good cup of tea would do the trick. at least for now.