Christmas Shopping | Day Two

here we go, day two, finally. that last week went so quickly i'm gonna cry. christmas is gonna come around so fast and this is gonna fall out from under me. this one is a little short and doesn't actually involve the doctor, but that's only because i really didn't have any other ideas. don't forget, y'all can tag me in your christmas prompts as well!

words: 1326
warnings:
none just wholesome bonding with yaz.

-x-

"What the hell do you get someone that has everything already?" The question pulls a pout to your lips. You stood just on top of the steps, the awful feeling of sand between your toes made your brows furrow. Looking down at your feet, you tried your best to brush the sand away. You were at one end of the South Bank Christmas Markets. You were back in Australia. This was your home. It was hot, sticky hot. You and Yaz were wearing pretty much nothing but your bathers with your beach towels wrapped around your waists. You had just gotten out of the water and made the short walk to the markets, you were to meet up with Dan for dinner but it was hard to pin him down. He was supposed to stay with the Doctor, to make sure that she didn't wander off anywhere too far. Make sure she didn't bring any unwanted trouble.

The sun was just setting, lighting the sky with brilliant shades of pink and red. It would be even hotter tomorrow you could tell. A bunch of people were milling about, the low hum of people's voices all blended together. You loved Christmas Markets, probably one of your favourite things to do around this time of year.

"I'm gonna be honest with you -" Yaz looked up at you, she stood a couple of steps below you - a slightly sympathetic look crossing her features. "I have no idea." There's a snort that leaves you. "I mean I'm having a hard time thinking of what to get Dan." Her own lips pulled into a pout, as the pair of you took the steps down, and lingered at the start of the market walkway. A band was playing somewhere down the street and it distracted you enough that you weren't looking where you were going and someone bumped into your shoulder. You frowned in annoyance but they had let a quick apology escape their lips as they continued to chase after their escaping toddler. Your brows softened and you hiked up the beach towel, before reaching over and grabbing onto Yaz's hand. You didn't really feel like losing each other in this crowd.

"How about we just walk down one side and see what we can find?" You suggested. The market went on for almost a kilometre. People of all ages were here, many young families. Kids screaming and laughing, a feeling that you sometimes missed. There was even a surplus of dogs, which instantly made your mood brighten. Yaz nodded her head before she squeezed your hand. She shifted her backpack onto her opposite shoulder. "For Dan, I think he'd enjoy something homemade." You finally answered her statement as you began to make your way through the large crowd of people. You were walking past the food tents and the smell of buttery popcorn, street food and even wine filled your senses. It made your mouth water. You and Yaz had spent pretty much the entire day in the water, not once stopping to act. You were starving.

"I know that he's a big history nerd," Yaz said as she pulled you to a sudden stop. You almost whacked into the back of her, when you spotted why she had stopped. You were standing in front of a tent that was selling hand-made boomerangs and dot paintings.

"Oh, he'd love one of those." There's a grin as you curled into her side, pointing over her shoulder. You loved Christmas Markets, but Christmas shopping was hard. Shopping for the Doctor was harder. You didn't want your present to be too personal (you really weren't ready for that conversation to come up yet) but you also didn't want it to be too cheap either. You needed a present that said you cared but as a friend. You needed something that the Doctor didn't have any of yet and that she would love. The small family that was working the tent consisted of a very beautiful Aboriginal mother and her two sons. She was delighted to sell Yaz the boomerang and even a painting. She wrapped it as well. "Oh, he's gonna love these." Yaz beamed as she turned on her heel, after thanking the family. She grinned at you. "Now, just for your present for the Doctor."

She started tugging you along. You had to pull up your towel again, otherwise, you knew that you would surely trip over it and fall flat on your face. You walked in silence for a couple of minutes, just listening to people around and the soft jazzy Christmas music that filled the air. That was until you spotted it. "Yaz!" You called jerking the woman to a stop. The group of people behind you grumbled lightly as they just missed collecting you on the shoulder, stepping around you with heavy sighs. You ignored them though, your eyes not once leaving the tent. "Look!" You pointed to the vendor on the opposite side of the walkway. Displayed neatly on stands, stood what looked like hand-crafted photo albums.

"Oh!" Yaz exclaimed as you looked at each other. "A photo album?" She questioned as the pair of you shoved through the crowd, making it to the other side.

"A photo album!" Dan adored taking photos. No matter where you went, no matter when you went, you had to take at least one picture of your trip. Even if no one else could see it. "We can put all of the photos that Dan took. That we took." Your fingers ran over an album that was painted in a strikingly familiar shade of blue.

"All handcrafted." A new voice piped up. You looked up and spotted the man who was sitting in his camping chair, a beer in one hand and the other adjusting something on the table in front of him. "My wife loves making them. All with vegan leather too." He finished and a grin crossed your lips.

"Oh, I love it." You were afraid to even open it, not wanting to crack the spine just yet. The bow that held the book together was even a beautiful shade of dark blue as well. "How much?" The old man shifted, placing his beer in the stubby holder and stood up, a groan escaping him and you had to stop yourself from giggling into Yaz's shoulder.

"About $100." Your lips pursed at the price but you justified it to yourself. They were all handmade, they looked like they were hand-painted too. Vegan leather, and the absolute perfect shade of blue. You looked at Yaz, who had already pulled out her phone. Looking back at the old man, you grinned. "Okay - we'll take it." He cracked a grin in return.

"Fair dinkum." He replied. "The misses is on her break at the moment but she will be over the moon when she returns. That was her favourite." The man took the album off the table. "Is it for someone special? Shall I wrap it?" A blush spread across your cheeks and you stammered for a second.

"It most certainly is," Yaz answered for you and you nudged her in the side with your elbow. The man laughed.

"Of course, of course." He shuffled to the table that was at the back of the tent. "Can see it in your eyes, love." Your blush deepened and Yaz laughed. "It will be a lovely Christmas gift." There was silence for a couple of seconds, as you watched the old man wrap the book. Once he was finished, he turned around and handed it to you. Then Yaz tapped her phone against the EFTPOS machine. Saying your goodbyes, you turned around.

"Now can we go find Dan and the Doctor?" Yaz spoke up. A laugh left you as you placed the wrapped present into Yaz's backpack. "I'm starving." You nodded.

"Course, I'm fucking starving as well."