Chapter 27: Karma Arrives

Kian

Zora grinned at me as we walked towards the Consel Room. Her hair was pulled back in a messy updo and ginger colored spirals framed her face. I knew that smile would be my undoing, she was breathtaking. I had almost kissed her last night, though I knew it would be a mistake. After all, she had said she was only here to save her people. When the time came would she choose to stay? I had no way to know whether or not she reciprocated my feelings.

"Well, are you ready to scandalize a room full of old men?" She asked, giving my hand a small squeeze.

I smirked, "Remind me to never get on your bad side."

We had come up with the plan last night, to put a whole new spin on the meeting with my council. I hoped that their heads would be reeling by the time we were through. Stailon opened the doors, holding back a chuckle. We had told him what we were planning, as not to give him a heart attack. I tried to have faith that he wouldn't give us away... it was hard.

As we entered the room, the men each took their respective seats at the table. Some of them looked shocked to see Zora at all, others looked smug; no doubt thinking that we were announcing a separation of our alliance. My smile threw them off guard.

"I have called this meeting to discuss with you the rumors regarding an arranged engagement between myself and Miss Stone," I said.

"We are well aware of the situation and thought that you might wish to er- make an argument against the said arrangement," Kendry responded, wearing the unnerving smirk of a man who knew he had beaten his opponent.

"Against the arrangement?" I asked perplexedly, taking Zora's hand and giving it a small squeeze. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see her suppressing a smile. She schooled her face into confusion.

"Kian and I wanted to thank you," She said, lacing her fingers through mine. This threw me, almost making me lose my composure. How many times had I wanted to do this and hadn't had the courage? Now here we were, putting on an act- but for me, it didn't much feel like one.

The men around the room looked at each other in confusion, some stared at our linked hands, disgust in their gazes.

I pulled myself together and went on, "We never would have had the courage to go through with the betrothal on our own. Sure, I had been considering asking Zora for quite some time but I thought that you wouldn't approve. So thank you, for making things much less complicated."

Kendry's eyes widened, "You two... have been...seeing each other?" He sputtered, his mouth hanging open.

Zora looked up at me with a shy smile, though I could see the humor behind it. "Oh yes, I knew Kian was the one from the moment we met." She was enjoying this far too much. Then again, I didn't mind her looking at me like that.

"Well, we will need to discuss this further. After all, we must do what's best for Drimore. Perhaps this betrothal is a bit too soon, " Kendry recovered quickly, though the sweat stains on his shirt revealed his anxiety.

This was what we'd been waiting for. Zora and I grinned at each other, "And that is exactly what we thought would happen." I said, forcing myself to release her hand. "Next time you gentlemen want to bluff, make sure it isn't so obvious." With that, Zora and I turned our backs on them, leaving their shocked expressions behind us.

" With that, Zora and I turned our backs on them, leaving their shocked expressions behind us

Stailon found me in my chambers after Zora and I had parted ways.

"That was pretty much the best thing ever," He said, face still red from laughing. "I mean, did you see their faces?"

I beamed, "Oh I saw them, and let me tell you it was the most fulfilling experience I've had in years." And truthfully it was. I'd let my advisors walk all over me for too long. And though Kendry had once been like a second father to me, I'd realized that his motive was to use me as a pawn all along. Revolution had made me grow stronger. I would not be a puppet prince. 

"I thought Kendry was going to have a heart attack!"He chuckled, "Speaking of hearts, those were some pretty convincing eyes you were making at Zora," He added, his face growing more serious. Oh no. He had figured out how I felt, and if it was that obvious, perhaps others had as well. 

My face heated, "What of it?"

He shrugged, "Kian, we're brothers. Don't play dumb with me." I stared at him for a moment, he stared back. A battle of wills, but in the end he was right. Stailon would always stand by my side, keeping things from him would only hurt us both in the long run. 

I took a deep breath, "So my feelings for her may be more than platonic... it doesn't have to change anything." I hoped I sounded more sure about that than I felt. 

 "Are you trying to convince me... or yourself?" Stailon frowned. 

I was in profuse denial, but he didn't need to know that. So I changed the subject. After all, he had some explaining to do as well. 

"What about you and Tyri?" I prodded.

"What about us?" 

"The two of you have been spending a lot of time together..."

He shrugged, "Yes, that's typically what happens when two people pursue a relationship with each other." The corner of his lip tugged upward. "I'm not in denial over my feelings."

I deflected, "You have feelings?"

"Ha. Ha. Such a great joke. I'm laughing on the inside, I assure you."

He may have found it funny, but it was not the time for happy endings. War was brewing and we needed fighters, not lovers. So I steeled myself, shielded my heart, and turned my mind to the battles ahead. 

Check out the new website for Skyfall at https://live4books4ever.weebly.com/skyfall.html for news on updates, quizzes, and more!