Prologue

ROYAL DECREE NUMBER 13:

ALL MAGIC WIELDERS OF ANY AGE, GENDER, CLASS, OR SKILL WILL BE EXECUTED IMMEDIATELY BY THE ROYAL GUARD. ANYONE FOUND TO BE HARBORING THESE ABOMINATIONS WILL BE EXECUTED ON THE SPOT. LOYAL CITIZENS WHO TURN IN INFORMATION ON THE WHEREABOUTS OF MAGIC WIELDERS WILL BE REWARDED.

Aiden Stone was two years old when he began to love fire

Aiden Stone was two years old when he began to love fire. His father had taught him to appreciate the flames. He remembered sitting in the man's lap in front of the fireplace where he would wave his hands and make the fire dance. Aiden remembered his father smiling as he coaxed a laugh out of him. He remembered his mother's cries of outrage as his father set him in the flames to play. When he was three, his sister took him out to the village where the other children would stop and stare as he wobbled on short legs through the flames of the bonfire. The adults stopped too sometimes, but then moved on, taking their children away from the flames. Aiden didn't care, the villagers were kind enough to him, even if his powers frightened them. He didn't even care when his father left. He was young and found that like the flames, all things burned out eventually. Why would his father's love for him be any different?

Aiden was four when he began to hate the flames. The day that his mother ushered him and his sister out of the house. Zora scooped him up in her arms and ran for the woods, their mother not far behind. Zora could protect him from the Drimorian Guard, but she could not protect him from the sight of what they were doing to the village. Flames engulfed the buildings and smoke masked the screams of those being put to death. Aiden squeezed his eyes shut as tight as he could, but he couldn't forget the sight of his neighbors on the ground in pools of blood.

A/N PLEASE READ

A map of Drimore and the surrounding countries, along with a pronunciation guide and dictionary is posted in the back of the book. If you have any questions or concerns about locations or word meanings you should be able to find any answers there.