Chapter 4: The Light Shines

Here's a mini-chapter in celebration of Friday! (I really like Fridays, okay?)

Kian

Stailon had followed through, bringing a pack filled with food, water, maps, a bedroll, and a dagger to my chambers. I pulled the pack over my shoulder and stepped towards the door. Stailon stopped me with a hand on my chest.

"Um, no. You are not going outside of these walls in that," Stailon chided, motioning to my clothes.

I stepped back, pulling at my blue tunic, "What's wrong with this?" I asked, puzzled. Stailon chuckled.

"In civilization, no one walks around wearing fancy tunics besides maybe the Dark Prince. You'll stand out like a redhead in Onue."

I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow. "So what are you suggesting?" I grumbled. Stailon tossed a wad of fabric onto my bed.

"I'm suggesting you dress like a normal person, Your Prissiness." I rolled my eyes as I unwadded the ball, revealing tan pants made of a thick cloth, a leather coat, and a thin grey shirt.

I held the shirt out in front of me, "I haven't worn anything this simple since before we found the caverns," I mused, watching Stailon dig around in my chest for a pair of boots.

"It won't be as funny after you've worn it for a few days," He replied, tossing me the boots and some thick socks. "Now get dressed and meet me in the hallway."

Five minutes later I was scratching at the thin material around my neck, as Stailon led me towards the exit of the caverns. I looked up at the small opening in the rocks, it was hardly noticeable from the inside, let alone the outside.

"This is where I leave you Kian," Stailon said, stopping, "If you aren't back in two weeks time, then I'm going after you."

I frowned, "Let's hope it doesn't come to that. You'll take care of the advisors, make sure they don't do anything stupid?" Stailon nodded quickly. "Then I'll see you soon," I said, clasping arms with my oldest friend. I forced myself not to look back as I walked steadily towards the outside world.

 I forced myself not to look back as I walked steadily towards the outside world

The first thing I noticed as I set foot outside of the caverns was the smell. I hadn't been outside in over three years, but I could still recognize the smell of rain. It was a clear night, so I must have just missed the storm. I heard the rushing water of the river that was in the woods just behind me. Even though I was risking everything, I couldn't help but smile. I was actually in the above the ground.

I pulled the compass out of my pocket and began my treck Southwest through the woods. Luckily, the incline there wasn't too steep so the hike down the mountain would be relatively easy. I took a deep breath, reminding myself that the danger was real out here. Though it was beautiful and amazing, things could go wrong very quickly.

Don't forget to vote :)