Sarah's Confession

Start from the beginning

"Not at all," I said calmly.

"Listen, I think we need to talk."

I closed my notes and made eye contact with Sarah. "I'm listening."

"First, I want to apologize for everything," she said, flustering, "I didn't mean to hurt you. I knew you were living with the Bartholys, but I couldn't tell you what they are. One, I wasn't sure if you would believe me, and two, we have this mutual respect for not revealing each other's identity..."

"I see. Go on."

"I knew they were...vampires...I wanted to warn you...but seeing how reserve you are and seeing as you don't believe in...other creatures, it was hard for me to confide in you. But just the other day, it shocks me that you eventually accepted their existence. I thought you were insane because any normal human being would run away from those creatures..."

"Well, you're not completely wrong. Maybe I wouldn't have believed you. Maybe I would. I'm sorry for being harsh with you. I guess I was angry that you were keeping secrets from me, especially there was a chance I could get hurt. Putting things to perspective, I don't know if I would have believed you...But that's not the point. I will have to defend the Bartholys. After living with them, I realize they are no threat to me. They have been very kind and protective of me. They are not as bad as you think."

"But they are part of the Bartholy family! That family..." Sarah pauses, hesitating whether to continue or not.

"I'm going to make an inference," I said, "I assume this is a family rivalry?"

"Yeah...you can say it is..."

"What did the Bartholy brothers do to you?"

"It's not what they did to me...It's what their family did to my family..."

"What did their family do?" I asked.

"Their father is a murderer! He killed and handed the majority of my family to be burned by civilians during the Salem Witch Trials..."

"That explains why you hate the bloodline, but not the other way around..."

"Well...one of my ancestors put a deadly curse on their father..." Sarah looks away for a moment.

"I see..."

We both sat in silence for a moment. Finally, I ask Sarah the one question she probably wanted to avoid. "Are you a witch, Sarah?"

"...Yeah. I am..."

"There's nothing wrong with that," I said, reassuring her.

"I guess..."

"You know Sarah, I'm a witch too..."

Sarah looks at me, astound. "What? But...how...you didn't believe in magicks?"

"My mother tried to get me to believe, but I was too stubborn to see it. I was really arrogant at the time and only cared about creating a name for myself back in my old town. After discovering vampires, I realize that everything my mom said was true. I regret not paying attention and learning from her. It was Nicolae who began to teach me more about Medicus Witches."

"What!? You're a Medicus Witch! And you're living with vampires!?" Sarah exclaimed, raising her voice a bit.

"Hush!" I said, "Do you want the campus to know about our identities?"

"I'm sorry," Sarah said, lowering her voice, "But you do realize you're in real danger, right?"

"If you're going to tell me I am going to get kill, you're wrong. If the Bartholy brothers wanted to exsanguinate me, they would have done it without informing me of who I was."