First Day of College: The Rescue

This skirt is too short. It will not do.

I stared in the mirror. There was no way I am dressing myself up like this. The University sweater is okay, but this skirt doesn't cover all my scars. To avoid being late for my first day, I removed the skirt and switch to dress pants. It still looks good and professional. I grab my bag and my old medic coat and ran downstairs. I must eat well to start the day.

As I reached downstairs, I found all three brothers and a little girl sitting at the table. Peter was reading a book and Drogo seem to be playing with the little girl. Only Nicolae seems to acknowledge my presence.

"Good morning, Layla. How are you?"

I gave him a bright smile. "I am well. How are you?"

"Another good morning," he answered, "Now, allow me to properly introduce you to everyone. This is Peter. He is the musician behind the piano at night."

"It's a pleasure to meet you," I said looking at Peter.

Peter nods shyly. "Nice to meet you."

"This is Drogo," said Nicolae, "You met him yesterday by the staircase."

I gave him a smaller smile. "Nice to meet you."

"The pleasure is mine, little thing," Drogo said mockingly.

I ignore his mocking voice. I look at the little girl and gave her my best smile. "And this must be Lorie! I am so happy to meet you!"

The little girl stares at me for a moment, then starts to sulk a little. "Nice to meet you."

Why is everyone either cold or rude except for Nicolae?

"You must eat, Layla," said Nicolae, "I like for you to start the day with a healthy breakfast."

I smiled at Nicolae. He is so kind and caring. I wonder how he turned out different from the others. I grabbed a blueberry muffin from the table with a banana and a cup of coffee. I ate quickly so I could get to my classes early. Before leaving, I bid the family goodbye and left the manor.

I walked to the university with sadness consuming me. It's never easy to start my life over. With little money to my name, it's even harder to afford a place of my own. I remember the days when I was a real hero in my town. After graduating from high school at age 17, I enrolled myself in an EMT course. Within the year, I was a certified EMT. I was passionate about what I did. I saved more lives than any other recent graduate. I was even given the scholarship to continue my education to become a paramedic. By age 21, I was a paramedic. My entire family became well-respected because of the service I provided for my community. What seems impossible to do for others, I have proven it to be possible. I remember a mother thanking me for rescuing her baby. I recall a daughter crying to me, thanking me for saving her father.

The only people I could not save was my family and my best friend. I failed as a paramedic...

I am now 25 years old. The events from the last six months were overwhelming. Six months ago, there was a wildfire that destroyed the town and killed so many people. I remember passing out with Lydia in my arms once we reached to safety. We were taken to a hospital in a nearby city where it is discovered that I have inhaled too much smoke and ash. It took them a while to clear my lungs. Because of this, I became asthmatic. I suffer from minor burns, but it was nothing compare to Lydia and her third-degree burns that covered 90% of her body. I was told that my mother burned to death, but Lydia had a chance for survival.

She was supposed to live. How did she die?

I have arrived at the university. It is just as beautiful as the pictures. I have chosen to major in environmental science, something that allows me to work with science without touching medicine. I can find ways to help the environment and protect the earth. I don't want to look back into medicine. I can never touch medicine ever again. I failed at my job. I was supposed to make my family proud.