Sarah's Confession

I woke up the next morning, feeling lighter than usual. Other than a little bit of dizziness, I am off to a great start! There were no nightmares to get me. Nothing that haunted me came to me. I turned around and found Peter laying next to me, smiling.

"Good morning, Layla," he said, "How are you feeling?"

"Good morning, Peter," I responded, "I am doing great! It's the first time I slept without a nightmare. Thank you so much for everything!"

Peter smiles at me while placing his hand on my neck. "Your blood...it didn't exactly react the way I expected."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I actually felt more powerful than before. It was as if my strength increased a hundred-fold. It made me...happier as well."

"That's good to hear."

"These holes are a little deep. Do you think you can hide it?"

"Yeah. I can always wear my university scarf Sarah gave me at some point in the beginning..."

Sarah. We ended on a bad note. But what could I say? She knew I was in danger...except I was never in danger. If she did tell me about the Bartholys, would I have believed her? Would I just laugh it off and find her delusional? I didn't believe in supernatural creatures until evidence plus Myths and Legends class really brought me to perspective. Maybe I was a little too hard on her...

"Sarah? As in Sarah Osborne?" Peter asked.

"Yes. She was my friend...well...not anymore..."

"I advise you stay away from her," Peter said with a darken expression.

"Why?" I asked, "What has she done to you? Is it because she knows you're a vampire?"

Peter stared at me in shock. "She told you?"

"What? No. I was mad that she knew and didn't tell me. I think that's where things ended on a bad note."

"Layla, there are some things that are not meant to be told. Although the Bartholys and the Osbornes hated each other, we respect each other enough not to reveal the other."

"What? You mean Sarah isn't human!?"

"You will have to ask her yourself. I'm sorry..." Peter gets up and sighs. "We better get ready for school."

"Of course..."

Peter leaves the room, leaving me alone with a million questions running through my head. Sarah isn't human...What is she?

................................................................

My first two classes were okay. I am confident that I am doing well in biology. The professor is a bit cold, but it's obvious she has a passion for the course. She just announced a research program in her lab and would need two best students to apply. I wish I could, but seeing this is my first semester, I don't have an overall GPA yet. My second class was so boring. English literature is not my cup of tea. I have little interest in understanding key points and writing intentions behind stories from centuries ago.

It's my lunch break. I order a coffee and a salad and sat alone in the cafeteria. I took out my notes from biology class and review today's lesson on the formation of prokaryote, eukaryotes, the differences, and its structures. I have a midterm in two weeks, but I know I will pass. I always review my notes after classes and when I have some free time. Anything is better than old, dusty literature books...

"Layla?"

I look up and saw Sarah looking glum. She takes a seat right in front of me. "Hey...I hope I'm not bothering you."