Incident

"What took you so long?" Sarah asked as I enter the cafeteria. I sat next to Sarah, sighing. Before I could answer, she smiles and added, "Could it be? Layla Vanderveer and our dear professor--"

"Shut up," I said rolling my eyes, "He was just curious about the events I performed this morning."

"Well, it was spectacular!" Sarah exclaimed, "You should join the MSU First Responders team. With you by their side, there are so many more lives that could be saved!"

"I rather not," I replied dryly.

"Why not?" she asked curiously.

"Because I lost interest."

"You keep saying that, but I can tell there's more to it. Come on, tell me the real reason."

"I have no other reason."

"You're lying."

"Sarah, drop it!" I lost it. I regret yelling at her. Sarah looks really hurt. Seeing her make that face, I feel very disappointed in myself. She is radiant. She has a beautiful personality and I know she means well. Why am I hurting her? Taking my anguish and taking it out on her?

"Sarah. I'm sorry. I should have yelled at you."

"It's okay," she said looking uncomfortable. I should be honest with her. She genuinely cares about me.

"Sarah, I--"

"So this is the new girl I heard about," said a voice.

We both look up from our table and saw a tall, athletic student wearing a sports jacket. Though I confess he is quite handsome, there is something about him that leads me to detest him. He looks like a cliche! A classic player...

"Hey Loan," Sarah responded with a smile, "What brings you here?"

"To meet our campus hero," Loan answered, "Only the first day and everyone is talking about it. I thought I meet her myself, but I didn't know she was absolutely stunning!" He turns to me. "My name is Loan Huxley. What's yours?"

"Layla Vanderveer."

"Beautiful name. What brings you here to Mystery Spell?" Loan asked.

"This beautiful campus and the education it provides. I also needed a change."

"You pick the right place," Loan said with a smile, "So tell me. Are you single?"

A classic cliche. An arrogant, athletic player who thinks he can sweep any girl off their feet. I replied bluntly. "I'm single, but have no interest in dating. Love is nothing but a waste of time and most men are arrogant idiots who enjoy playing with a poor maiden's heart!"

"I'm sure I can change your mind," Loan replied.

"I highly doubt it," I responded.

"Loan!" someone shouted.

From a distance, I can see an angry, blond hair girl coming towards us. She stopped right next to Loan and gave me a murderous look. "So you think that just because you save someone's life, that makes you a big shot?"

"Excuse me?" I asked calmly.

"You think you can just take my man because you made a good impression? Think again, bitch! You're still a worthless little scum who is prying on other people's boyfriends!"

"It's obvious you got no brain," I replied calmly.

"What!? You got some nerve, don't you!"

"Samantha, calm down," said Loan, "You are embarrassing me!"

I turned to Sarah. She doesn't say anything. She's just giving Samantha the death stare.