Elijah Mikaelson - "Christmas at Mikaelsons" (Part 1)

Christmas is fast approaching as it is every year, the first Christmas lights are hung up all over the French Quarter, except the Mikaelson Compound. You and your old time friends, the Mikaelsons, did not find the time to decorate the house, let alone to buy a Christmas tree.

However today you decided that it's time to change that. If the Christmas spirit won't come out of hiding by itself, you might as well force it out of the shadows.
[[MORE]]
"The tree-market is right here on the left." You say seated in Elijah's Porsche on the way to the next tree market.

Despite your very clear directions, Elijah takes the second left instead of the first. He is probably just searching for a convenient place to park his car. However, he continues to drive, passing the town borders, the endless cycle of Christmas music blurting out of the radio.

"Elijah, where the hell are we going?"

"The woods." He explains, keeping his eyes on the road ahead of him "We are in desperate need of the perfect tree after all."

"Elijah, it's the 21st Century, we don't need to chop off a tree in the woods. We can buy them from a slightly drunk, middle-aged man for a grossly excessive price."

"I recall it was your sworn tradition, Y/N." He replies.

Elijah is right, it was. You insisted on hunting down the tree yourself every Christmas you spend together, with all family members present or not, because only then you'd get the perfect that would be just right for whatever room you'd put it in.

"Perhaps back then. Lots of things have changed." You shrug.

"Traditions, however, should not. " You share a quick glance "Therefore, we collect the tree ourselves."

"You could have told me that earlier, so I could have changed my footwear." You sigh and look down to your vintage boots you bought sometime in the 70's. Or was it the 80's....? No matter, it would be a shame to ruin them in the thick layered snow that collects under the wider branched trees, wouldn't it?

------------------------------------------------------------

After a short drive, Elijah brings the car to a hold and exits . You do the same as he opens the trunk and grabs a jacket he had been driving around with. He exchanges his suit coat with the winter jacket and grabs an ax that lies next to his now neatly folded suit.

"Wow. I think it's the first time I see you in a normal jacket. Couldn't ruin your precious suits, huh?" You ask him, earning one of is rare smiles.

"As much as you do not wish to ruin your shoes I suppose." He hands you a pair of ugly outdoor shoes, which you gladly accept.

Once you changed your shoes, you and Elijah stagger off into the woods, searching for the most precious tree. You are still astounded by the fact that Elijah coalesces with the trees surrounding him because his usual set of clothing and elegant manner would suggest otherwise. It is quite the opposite though. He grew up with nature surrounding him after all.

------------------------------------------------------------

You have been searching for quite a while, Elijah always finding something that he did not like on every tree you showed him. He's a real pain in the behind,

"How about this one?" You gesture to a wide-branched tree to your right.

Elijah takes few steps towards it, inspecting it thoroughly. He takes a step back, to get a better view and after a few seconds have passed, he shakes his head "Not quite the one we need."

He turns slightly and walks further into the woods, determined to find the very best tree in the area.

"Dammit Elijah, just pick one already! There are hundreds of trees around here. Tall ones, wide-branched ones, narrow ones...how hard can it be to find a tree in a fuc-" You did not pay attention where you were going and you collided with Elijah's back.

"I believe I have found our tree, Y/N." His mouth is slightly parted, curved into a bright smile. It's so bright you expect to hear an angels choir and a golden glimmer around the tree, like the scene in "Christmas Vacation"

He swirls the ax in one hand and walks over to the tree. He brings the ax down at the perfect height and angle, pieces of wood splattering away on impact. He repeats that movement a few times before the tree falls on the ground.

"I said it before and I'll say it again; Have you thought about a career as a lumberjack?" You chuckle at the thought of Elijah in the typical work attire a lumberjack would wear.

Elijah laughs and wraps his hands around the tree, lifting it up and carries it on his shoulder.

"Showoff." You scoff, following behind him.

Elijah simply raises the tree even higher, continuing to his parked car.

This massive tree will be the eyecatcher in the Mikaelson home, but it sure will be a pain in the ass to decorate...

-----------------------------------------------------------