Chapter 2

The sound of cutlery filled the room where Dan, his mother, father, and brother were sat. They were eating spaghetti with garlic bread. Dan was enjoying his food, and still thinking about Phil and his lack of powers. He was humming a small hum, ignoring that everyone else could hear him. He twirled the noodles on his fork and put it into his mouth, a single noodle hitting his chin. 

"How was your day, Dan?" his mother asked.

"It was good, I had to introduce myself in front of the class."

"Really? How did that go?" His father pitched in on the conversation.

"It was good," He didn't know how he would mention someone without power, so he decided not to. "I got to use my power in gym."

"You'll get tired of gym quickly," his brother, Adrian, mumbled, moving his food around. He was older than Dan, two years older, so when he went to the other school, he went to the one Dan is at now. He was twelve, almost thirteen. He always showed that he was the oldest, and proved he was the strongest. Dan didn't mind his brother being stronger.

"I liked gym when I was in school, I got to play soccer and things like that," their mother stated.

"It must have been different, then," Adrian said. "We learn how to use our powers and exercise quite a lot."

"Oh, really? Wow." She was shocked. Dan didn't listening to the conversation, he wanted to eat and think. His mind wandered to how his power would be in the future, how strong he'll be, and what Phil would do during gym for the next few years. He couldn't just sit on the sidelines everyday, he would get bored. He took a bite of his garlic bread. Having no power must feel strange, especially in a world full of people with powers. Dan didn't want to dwell on that, he just wanted to practice his power and get stronger. He wanted to develop his fire power to be stronger than the rest, but he couldn't now, he'd have to wait until he's older.

Dan finished his dinner and went outside. There was still about an hour of daylight left, and he wasn't going to spend that time inside. All day he has been in a class room, and then outside for only forty-five minutes. Being inside always made Dan feel stuck, like he couldn't move.

He looked up at the sky and saw clouds loving swiftly away, not much blue showing. Dan looked at his hand and made a flame appear. It wasn't the same as before, it was the same flame the other boy used in gym. He lifted his other hand and saw the orb from earlier. There were two different forms of fire in his hands, and he didn't know what to think of it. Out of curiosity, he started to put the two together. His hands got closer and closer until the outside of the flames started to merge. When they were about to touch, a hand grabbed him and turned him around. It was quick and made him jump. His flames went out.

"Don't do that!" his father yelled, hand still tight on Dan's shoulder.

"Why?"

"Two kinds of flames shouldn't be together because it could-" He paused, shock evident on his face. "You made two different kinds of flames with your hands!"

"Yeah?" Dan was confused, he didn't know what was wrong with combining flames and why it was so shocking to have two different flames. Everything just confused him, and he didn't want to think about it anymore. He wanted to just play outside and climb a tree, or leave the fire power alone.Maybe being powerless was a good thing, after all.