The Incident at the Naming

The tension had failed to fade from most of the Eldar after the first month since their reunion. Yet the Noldor were not given to idleness. Despite their long journey, Filgolfin's people worked to fortify the northern bank of Lake Mithrim. The structures were nearly complete. Despite the losses that both groups had suffered in their crossing, Fingolfin's people remained the most numerous. Even the most begrudging of them had to admit that they worked better together than against each other.

"Ita-" Luimëníssë stopped herself, closing her eyes and hissing a breath her nose. "Celebrimbor, come here."

She was still having a difficult time getting used to the change in name for her son. Thankfully, he was young enough that he got used to it quickly. After she and her husband had sat down with him and explained why he would now be called something other than Itano, he had merrily told them it sounded like an amusing new game. Curufin, the Sindar name her husband had adopted in honor of their new home and it's native language, had laughed. Luimëníssë had managed a smile for her child's benefit.

Celebrimbor raced over to where she stood outside the tent. He was covered from foot to knee in mud after he'd been digging for rocks all morning on the bank, Vantaro sulking as he watched him. Luimëníssë clicked her tongue and shook her head.

"You're a disaster," she muttered, brushing the dirt from his hose. "I thought I asked you to make sure he didn't get too messy."

Vantaro smirked. "Messy is a relative term, dear sister."

Her brother was impatient for the next time Findekáno, now called Fingon, would take him out again. They had just returned from scouting the southern side of the lake. Luimëníssë was happy to hear that Vantaro had been lighthearted and distracted by the business. But then they received word from a grey elf about a pack of orc spotted not far from their camp. Fingon had gone to investigate.

Vantaro had begged to go as well, but Luimëníssë had put her foot down. He was too young to engage in battle. Though Ingoldo had been training him in blades, Fingon taking up his lessons in the bow as he was the best archer of all of them, Vantaro was far from ready for active combat. He'd been hateful towards her ever since Fingon had departed with Curufin's youngest brother and a grey elf named Celonion.

"Why do you insist on changing his name?" Vantaro spat, leaning against a pole that held up the circular tent and picking his nails with a short knife. "Itano was just fine."

Luimëníssë grunted as she changed her restless son into clean clothes. "Because... my husband needs to have a hand in his life as well..."

Vantaro snorted. "As though he's earned it. Abandoning you-"

"That's enough, little brother. If you aren't going to add positively to the conversation, I suggest you keep quiet," Luimëníssë snapped, losing her temper as she buttoned the last of the toggles on Celebrimbor's tunic.

Vantaro paced in front of the tent for a moment. "Maybe it would be better if I just wandered off into the forest by myself. I could do it."

"I don't doubt it, but for now, you must stay with us." She picked up her son and hitched him onto her hip. "Can I trust you to keep your temper at the gathering this afternoon?"

Vantaro shrugged. Before he could answer, Luimëníssë spied Curufin making his way through the busy camp towards them. His hair was combed back into the tight plait he had gotten into the habit of wearing. He gave a razor blade of a smile, his teeth barely showing, but held open his arms for their child.

Luimëníssë didn't bother smiling. "Fingolfin says he will make the announcement first."

"Yes. I know." Curufin took Celebrimbor. He dug into his pocket. With a vague grin, he tugged out a chain and dangled it in front of his son. "This is for you, little one. A naming gift."