Confessions in the Twilight

"There's no denying the child is Curvo's," Artanis said, stirring a pot of root vegetables and bones from the doe that Findekáno had just slain. She and Luimëníssë had cracked open the delicate femurs to release the marrow into the broth. "They wear the same expressions."

"It's true!" Írissë gave a bark of a laugh. She picked up Itano and held him a foot away, screwing her face into a mask of terror and confusion. "They both looked just like this at their first meeting."

"I only wish Lord Fingolfin had warned me that he was planning on using us as a means to bridge the gap between the camps," Luimëníssë snorted, tearing apart greens to add to the stew.

"I don't think my father used you," Írissë spoke up, ignoring the look of droll disbelief from her cousin. "But I agree. It was poorly done. Being surprised that you are a father in front of everyone you know."

"That meeting was full of too many surprises for my taste," Artanis muttered.

Shouts came from the vague border between the camps. The voices sounded angry, excited. Something about a disagreement. The word fight reached them. Artanis and Luimëníssë leaped to their feet, leaving Írissë behind with the baby.

Luimëníssë had feared this would happen. Though tensions ran high for everyone, the only elf she could imagine starting a tussle this soon was her brother. Her fears were confirmed as she came upon the scene.

Vantaro was tangled up with a much bigger Noldo, blood smearing his nose. Luimëníssë's stomach dropped when she realized who it was that he had pitted himself against. The golden curls of Curvo's brother Tyelkormo were ground into the mud as Vantaro managed to throw him onto his back. Vantaro straddled the ellon, punching him as furiously as he could, wrath fueling his movements.

"Kinslayer!" Vantaro screamed as Ingoldo ripped the youth off the Fëanorian. "Murderer!"

Curvo came out of the crowd and pulled his brother to his feet, holding him back from attacking Vantaro again.

"He's- he's just a child," Curvo yelled, Tyelkormo's eyes wide with rage as Curvo pushed him back. "Go. Get out of here."

"Get your kin under control," Tyelkormo snarled, spitting red then striding away.

Vantaro was breathing heavily, his nose bleeding down into his teeth as he snarled at his brother-in-law. "I am no kin to you."

Curvo's jaw went hard. He swung his glare from Vantaro to Luimëníssë as she came to stand beside the young ellon. "I won't help him next time if he insists on acting like a wild animal."

Luimëníssë turned her back on Curvo. "Come, come away now," she insisted to her little brother.

Vantaro reluctantly complied, shaking off Ingoldo and stomping back towards their camp.

Artanis gave Luimëníssë a tight lipped stare. "Something needs to be done about the boy."

"Yes, I just don't know how to get through to him," she whispered fiercely as three of them followed Vantaro.

Ingoldo ran a hand over his face. "He needs a preoccupation. He may look like one of the Teleri, but he is all Noldo. His fëa burns too brightly. His manner is much like Fëanor growing up without his mother. And Vantaro has lost both his parents."

"Don't let him hear that comparison," Artanis warned. "But I agree. He needs a purpose."

"I'll speak to Findekáno," Luimëníssë concluded. "He plans on exploring the surrounding area more, scouting and hunting. Perhaps he can start to teach Vantaro how to track. Ulmo knows we'll be needing that skill in this wilderness."