The Parting

Curvo was absent from their bed when she awoke. All the candles but one had burned down to nubs, the sea restless beyond the cloth walls of their tent. Fevered whispers reached her ears. She blinked away the sleep and rose from the furs. Taking his cloak from a nearby chair, she put it on over her chemise and tread the cold ground to the tent opening.

Peeking out into the dark, Luimëníssë spied two figures speaking in heated tones under the stars. Curvo had his back to her wearing only a pair of trousers even in the cold, his black hair loose around his bare shoulders. He was jabbing a finger at the other ellon.

"Father expects your abject loyalty to our family," the unknown elf argued audibly. "Unless you now question the oath you made first to us and our quest."

The stranger's hair curled like Náretarnon's did. It tumbled down to his elbows in dark honey ringlets, two small braids bound with leather straps fell over his ears. A single leather cord circled his head, keeping his curls at bay. He was dressed in dark green, his breastplate fashioned with the head of a great hunting hound.

"Tyelkormo," Curvo snarled, grabbing the other ellon by his upper arm. "You know that my first allegiance will always be to my family. But she is my family now as well. That is something you can't understand. You've never even considered marriage."

"Father would understand."

"Of course he would understand, but would he care? You saw his parting with mother, how she wept-"

"Yes, I saw it. We all did. It's why Amrod is having second thoughts as well," the elf called Tyelkormo snapped.

"I am not having second thoughts. I am merely concerned about leaving my wife behind. I don't want her in harm's way with the first wave of ships into the Hither Lands, but I don't wish to be separated from her either."

Tyelkormo's gaze clipped over to where she stood, the wind blowing back the tent flap and tousling her silver hair. "I can understand why," he said wryly, smirking at Curvo.

Curvo turned to see her, his mouth pulling hard into a frown. Swiftly, she retreated to the cot. Tossing aside the cloak, she crawled under the furs with her back to the room. She heard him bid his companion farewell. Silently, he returned to the tent and stretched out on the cot beside her.

"Eaves dropping is a bad habit of yours."

"I know. I'm sorry."

"What did you hear?"

"Only that they are questioning your loyalty because of me."

The cot creaked under his weight as he turned towards her and rested a heavy hand to the concave of her waist. "Their questions are immaterial. My father knows where I stand, not only with him but with you. He won't betray that. I trust him."

Luimëníssë bit her tongue. She longed to ask him if he truly could or if he just hoped it was so. She nestled her chin tight into her neck, hunching her shoulders. "Who was that?"

"One of my older brothers. I'll introduce you to him when I know he can behave himself. He and Carnistir, they are the middle brothers. Both are... unpredictable. Impulsive and too loud for their own good," he laughed to himself. "No, I think I'll first have you meet the twins, my younger brothers. They are pleasant, more like Artanis and Ingoldo."

Luimenisse sensed his body relax. She turned towards him and rested her head against his chest. "And your other brothers... what are they like?"

"The two eldest? I'm not so sure I want to introduce you to my eldest brother, you might lose your heart to him like half of Tirion did. Maitimo is his mother name, well-formed one. Let's just say it's appropriate."