I'm The Loner

The murmur of students filled the Garrison halls. Classes were done for the day, and dinner had begun.
In just a few months, Keith would be assigned a team, one which he would complete simulations and drills with.
No more flying in formation, or ever changing groups of three. Not anymore.
Once this term ends in June, Keith will be a commander of his own Senior Cadet crew. Thankfully, neither Lance nor James could be on his team.
However, once graduates, Keith might be part of a squadron with the two of them.
Because of this impending need for teamwork skills, Keith decided to try and find a few classmates to eat dinner near.
Talking wasn't all that important to him, but at least being near someone was better than sitting alone.
Once the Cadet grabbed his food, he began searching for a vacant seat, one whose table was not occupied by too many people.
Despite his efforts, Keith just couldn't bring himself to sit with anyone he knew from class. It just didn't feel right. Keith wanted to do as Shiro had asked, but he isn't good at talking to people.
Instead, he took his cafeteria food back to his dorm.
It was probably better that he ate in there anyway, in an hour or so, there was to be a broadcast on the Kerberos mission. The crew should have landed about half an hour ago.
   As the young man sat in silence, eating his dinner, he heard a nock on the door.
   Setting his food down on his desk, Keith went to open the door. He was surprised to see Adam standing outside, he looked stressed. "What do you want?" The Cadet asked, his voice filled with disgust.
   Keith knew what had happened between Shiro and Adam, and a part of him wanted to Adam because of it. However, this was the man that Shiro was engaged to, so he couldn't be that much of a dick. Adam had some redeeming qualities, but he had left Shiro, and for some reason that was unknown to the Cadet.
   "I was wondering if you wanted to chat... About what's happened."
   "There's nothing to talk about. You and Shiro went your separate way, and for five months you've ignored me."
   The Officer looked hurt, but Adam also knew that Keith had his reasons for acting in such a way. "Look, I know I've made a mistake, but I made a promise once. I told Takashi that I would keep an eye on you... If you don want to talk, that's fine, but know that you can confide in me--"
   "Adam, I really don't care what you have to say. Unless you're here to tell me about the Kerberos mission, I don't want to hear it."
   "I understand..." With a slight nod, he added, "Admiral Sanda said they're releasing a broadcast tonigh, and earlier than expected."
   Keith gave a confused, but somewhat thankful nod. "Thanks..."

**

   An hour or so had passed when something of interest appeared in the television in the Cadet's room. Footage of the Kerberos launch.
   With the footage of the mission, Keith glanced up towards the screen.
   He had just barely begun reading the headline when he heard the reporter begin to speak.
   "The Galaxy Garrison mission to the distant moon of Kerberos is missing. All crew members are presumed to be dead."
   Keith stood up from his chair faster than he could blink. His chair fell down on the floor, crashing down on the tiles with a loud thud. He felt his heart race and his hands began to shake.
'Missing?! No! There has to be some mistake!'
   He read the headline over and over again, hoping to find a mistake, praying that he had misheard the reporter.
   But each time, it said the same thing.
   "Kerberos Mission Missing. Pilot Error."
'No! It's not true!'
Keith left his room in a second, not even taking the time to turn off the TV. He didn't know where he was planning to go, but he ended up bumping into someone before he could figure out where he was going.
Actually, this wasn't a someone. This was a group of Cadets. Nearly half of Keith's class was gathered in the halls, all were wide eyed and horrified by what they saw.
"Is this possible?" One kid asked.
"Did it crash?!" Another asked.
"Pilot error?!" Keith heard Lance's question loud and clear. "But... Shiro is like... the best pilot in the world! That doesn't seem possible."
For the first time, Keith wanted to chine in and agree with Lance. This was Shiro they were all talking about. Shiro isn't a bad pilot. He just couldn't have crashed.
Keith suddenly felt a pair of eyes on him, and he looked to the crowd of students. A few of them had noticed he was standing there.
"Aren't you a bit late, Kogane?" James asked with attitude. "This is—"
"Eat shit, James!" He yelled, shoving his classmate out from his way. "Go piss off someone else for one!"

***

Keith had spent nearly an hour just walking the halls of the Garrison. Half of the time he couldn't think of anything, his mind was just blank. The other half, his mind was racing and desperately searching for a reason to prove the report wrong.
'It doesn't seem possible! He can't be gone! He's the best pilot the world has.... How did he—'
"Keith!"
Hearing his name, the Cadet turned around. He looked terrified, and he had every reason to be. "The hell do you want?!"
The man who had called his name was none other than Adam, the last person Keith wanted to see right now.
"I take it you've seen... the broadcast." The officer spoke quietly.
Keith could have sworn he had heard the man's voice tremble. He was shocked. Adam was not the one he would have thought would have acted in such a way towards this. "Yeah, and so what?! It's not like you even care!"
"Keith, no... Listen. Please, I know you're mad at me, but let me—"
The Cadet just about lost it. "Don't give me that bull shit! You don't give a shit about Shiro! You left him! You knew he was sick! You knew how important this mission was to him! But you still made him make a choice!" Keith stopped only to breath. "You made Shiro chose between you and the damn mission! I thought you loved him! What kind of asshole does something like that?!"
Adam didn't say anything back. He knew Keith was wrong, and he knew he should defend himself, but right now, there are more important matters.
Shiro is dead.
"At least say something!" Taking a step towards Adam, Keith glared at him. He wanted to hurt this man, he wanted to punch him, he wanted to do something awful. "Shiro left broken-hearted and you did nothing to help him! And now he—"
"He's dead! I know, okay?! You think I don't feel anything?! You think I'm some heartless man?!" Adam towered over the Cadet, silencing him in an instant. "I loved Takashi more than anyone could ever love someone! And every day I regret saying what I said.... But now he's gone... And there's nothing I can do..."
Keith just shook his head. "Well thank you for caring. But I do not give a damn. I don't care what you think! Because this isn't about you! That broadcast is straight from Garrison's classified feeds. Shiro is gone!" For the first time in a long while, Keith felt himself choke up, he felt like crying. "Shiro is gone... And I'm all alone..."