From Here On Out

October 25th.
   Three days had passed since Keith was surprised with a small birthday celebration. He hasn't heard from Shiro or Adam or Matt since.
   He's done what he's supposed to do, and has continued his studies, but the lack of communication between him and his only allies has started to bother him.
   Keith took his seat in his engineering class, and barely had time to open his notebook before he heard someone call his name.
   "Cadet Kogane! Come with me please."
   He looked to see a security guard waiting by the doorway for him. "Yes, ma'am." Leaving his belongings, he followed the guard out of the classroom and down the hall. "Can I ask why you need me?"
   "Officer Shirogane would like to talk to you."
   "Oh..."
   Following the guard down the hallway into the area for teachers and commanders, Keith felt himself succumb to worry. Why was he here? Why did Shiro want to talk to him? And why was he being escorted by a guard? Couldn't Shiro have just told him after class?
   "He's waiting."
   Keith gave a nod, thanked the guard and went inside.
   The cadet was met by three officers, Matt, Adam and Shiro. As well as Commander Holt.
   "You needed to speak with me...?"
   "Yeah... Sorry for dragging you out of class..." Shiro apologized. "But... this, to me at least, is more important than your engineering lecture."
   "What is it?"
   "Remember that meeting the officers and commanders had two days ago?" Adam asked.
   "Yes..."
   "And how we said it was really important?" Matt added.
   "Yeah. I do."
   "Its about a mission the Garrison is planning." Shiro went on with what he had to say. "It is set to launch in two years. They've already selected the crew. Or, that's what we did during the meeting."
   "They put me in charge of the mission," Commander Holt spoke up. "I was asked to select two other talented officers for the job. I needed a pilot and a communications officer."
   "And you chose Shiro, didn't you...?" Keith asked with hesitation.
   "Yeah, he chose me. And I hate to leave you, especially since the mission will last almost three years, but this is a huge step in space travel... and I couldn't pass up the opportunity."
   "It's fine..." Keith forced a smile. "Don't let me hold you back from doing what you love."
   "Are you sure...?"
   "Yeah." Th cadet shrugged a little. "I mean... I'm pissed that you're leaving. But I know it's what you love, so I won't stop you."
   "Thanks Keith... If there's anything I can do to make up for leaving in three year, let me know."
   "Just... Keep doing what you've been doing, you know...? Watching out for me and stuff like that. Also, maybe teach Adam the difference between supporting your friends and supporting your students."
   Shiro let out a laugh, ruffling up Keith's hair. "Alright. Enough with the attitude. You'll see less of us, so please learn to respect Adam."
   "Fine, fine. I'll respect him."
   "Keith, I helped you get extra credit on your final exam." Adam pointed out, "I think I deserve your utmost respect."
   "Yeah... Thanks for that."
   Keith knew he could depend on anyone in this room. He knew that very well. But the only problem was that Shiro was his biggest ally.
   He would be terribly lonely with Shiro gone on a mission, as he was when Shiro first left for the Garrison and when he went on that mission last year.
   It pained his heart to know he'd have to go through that again, but he knew Shiro would come back. He knew Shiro would would come back and everything would be the same again. He knew that. And he was okay because of that.
   Would he miss Shiro?
   Absolutely.
   But would he be okay?
   Yes. Yes he would.