Tweaked (Part 1)

Of course, I had to do all the research that I could. Weeks and weeks of stalking, observing, even experimenting, finally gave me sufficient information on what I had spent nights awake. He was no ordinary person, that was more than obvious. Neither were his superpowers, though. Now, having any superpowers in this land and time was possible and proven. Quite a handful of cases of super strength, light speed, invisibility, the usual things we had been seeing in comics, had been witnessed and become familiar. People even counted on those with these powers to rescue them from the average crook or those who decided to use these powers darkly.

Though ever since he came to town, the disturbances have become weirder and different than average. The unusual things about the disturbances associated with him was that they happened so calmly that you wouldn't even be able to tell they are happening, you would only be able to acknowledge it well after it had happened, owing to the total confusion it left you in. The even weirder thing is that most of the victims reported not panicking at all when the incident happened, instead being totally accepting and normal about it, almost as if it was something that was normally supposed to happen. They were almost agreeing to it, just very, very confused afterwards. The only helpful thing would be that all of them mentioned being with a certain stranger, and all reports proved that the stranger as one man, the same man. The one that I had been stalking for quite a while now.

I'd been taking down pesky crooks here and there over time, left some for the others. But this man, he intrigued me particularly. What he could do, to be more specific. I didn't know what his powers were. Everything he was doing, everywhere he was being, every disturbance he was causing, I just couldn't find out the cause for them. It had to be supernatural. I was more than a 100% sure that he had superpowers, I just couldn't put my finger on what kind they were.

I had managed to hack into some of the security cameras of places where he had done his dirty work; it had almost become a hobby by that point. I had found only one thing that could be called a clue related to his abilities. Every footage showed the same thing; around the time the incident happened, like his usual grand scale robberies or unpredictable havoc, right before the very moment, the screen almost in an unnoticeable moment became slightly hazy, and then it'll be gone in a beat, then everything looked the same again. Almost. Everybody looked very slightly dazed as well, then moved on.

I sat at my bedroom windowsill, laptop placed on my crossed legs, trying hard to catch some sort of hint of what his powers could be. 'What can his powers be?! Is it him causing those blurs, those short pauses in reality? Does that have anything to do with his powers, if he even has any?' The speed and frequency of his actions and crimes prove that whatever he was doing was definitely not based on natural abilities, that much I knew. I had developed enough experience over the years to be able to tell. 'I know when a person has superpowers, active superpowers.' Their mannerisms are quite familiar. 'Pretty similar', I thought as I made a tiny snowflake twirl on my fingertip. My observations stated the possibility of his superpowers having to do something with magnetic or gravitational waves, since whatever was causing those disruptions in vision seemed to come in waves. 'Well, I guess he's the only one to answer the question correctly.' I had to catch him in the act. 'Easy peasy, a one in a million chance, really, since he doesn't have any particular pattern that I could follow to catch him. Guess that luck is all I'm gonna have to start with.' I ran a hand through my hair with a deep sigh. 'Great.'

---------------------------------------------

(To be continued.)