Chapter 6: The Bet

"—And after Portugal and Japan started in 1543 their first affiliation, making the Portuguese the first Europeans to reach Japan by landing in the southern archipelago of Japan..." the geography teacher drones on, unaware his voice is as lethargic and utterly boring as a robot.

As his lecture goes on, students lay their heads miserably on the desks and only look up to write some notes before resuming their former position. You are one of them. You try to pay attention to his lesson as exams were coming up fast, but you would always start to nod off.

As soon as the bell rings, every student stands up and runs out the door whilst the teacher stands there awkwardly, not quite sure just what happened.

After you pick up your binders and textbooks from your homeroom, you make your way to your shoe locker. As you are busy tugging on your shoes, someone taps your shoulder.

You look up to see Teruhashi with a sheepish look on her face.

"Hey, sorry for bothering you (L/n), but have you seen Saiki anywhere?" Teruhashi whispers. She teeters back and forth on the toes and heels of her school slippers with a small flush on her face.

Saiki.

If everything was normal, you would have teased Teruhashi about her obvious crush on him, saying that she didn't need to hide something so clearly evident from you. But that name just... does something to you.

"I don't think so." You try to keep your tone cheerful. "Bathroom maybe?"

"Ah, you know what? I think he's at his locker." Teruhashi says quickly before turning away, looking very flustered.

You wonder what she sees in Saiki. He seems average. To the public eye at least. He isn't so unbearably handsome that girls would faint at the sight of him. He isn't fabulously rich. He isn't an academic genius. The only thing that makes him stand out from the crowd is his quiet demeanor (and even that made him more invisible) and being a psychic.

You are honestly surprised that he hasn't wiped your memories yet. Maybe one day you'll wake up and you won't be able to remember what happened that day. This thought sends your heart racing. Ah, wait, he probably can't. You're immune.

The only thing that keeps you sane is Saiki's (kind of) regretful expression. Can it really be called an expression? You mostly knew because of... well, you didn't really know. You just did. Intuition, maybe?

The point is, he feels bad. He isn't just an emotionless husk. He is human too, you suppose.

Someone taps you on the shoulder again and you turn around to tell Teruhashi that Saiki has probably left the building when you realize it was not in fact your friend but the man in question. Maybe you jinxed yourself because as soon as you decide Saiki may not have been such a bad person, he invites you to a café.

You don't have the heart to tell him that you no longer enjoy cafés.

--------------------------------

You're not too sure why you agreed. Perhaps he wants to explain everything to you? There is no point in telling you, as his abilities don't work on you. An 'if you can't beat them, join them' tactic? Or maybe he'll literally beat you.

Either way, you're interested to see what he had to say. Curiosity killed the cat, you suppose.

You had a plan in your head: If he leads you down an alleyway again, you are gonna start running as fast as you can to the airport and fly somewhere that wasn't Japan.

Granted, Saiki could probably catch you very easily, but you won't know until you try.

Instead of bringing you to a shady hole in the wall, he stops in front of a sweet little coffee bar. Not as glamorous as the one you went to yesterday, but it is still charming in its own way. In bold purple kanji, it read 魔美.