Chapter 9 | Anticlimatic Dinner Party

On a peaceful Thursday night, mom decides to ambush her family with an absurd demand.

"We are inviting the Saiki family over for dinner tomorrow." Your mother randomly declares in the middle of dinner. She always does this, springing information and plans on her family out of the blue like it was nothing. Once, she decided out of nowhere that her side of the family would be staying over for a week and your father nearly booked a hotel to live in.

Thankfully, nothing as drastic happened this time. You and June simultaneously choke on rice as beer squirts out of dad's nose. It would be a gross sight to see if you weren't hacking on food yourself. Mom just simply sits there and waits for the chaos to end.

"Well? Are there any objections?" Mom's voice is ordinary but there's a scary glint in her eye that makes you back down. It's not too much different from the look a hungry tiger would look after seeing prey. June, stupid as she is, doesn't notice it and speaks up.

"Yeah. I don't wanna have to host people on a Friday. The last episode of Sailor Moon Crystal is airing and I don't want to —"

"Objection denied!" Mom says sweetly. She turns to you and dad. "Any other opinions?" You shove food in your mouth as an excuse for not responding.

Only your father is foolish enough to challenge the Armageddon. "Maybe we could push it next week? This is a little bit—"

"Overruled!" Mom chipperly declares. She smiles in your direction with a dark glitter in her eyes. "Any misgiving, my eldest daughter?"

A shiver runs down your spine. Juniper had been shut down violently. Dad was pummeled by mother's rejection. If you wanted to stay in mom's good graces, you would have to agree. Even if you didn't want to agree.

"Nope! I think it's a great idea!" You plaster on a poster-child smile. "We never invite anyone over. Who else would be better than our dear neighbors?"

Yeah, you were really trying to sell it. Juniper kicks you under the table and mouths 'suck-up' in your direction. You pretend not to see. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

"I agree." Mother gives you a kind smile and flashes a look at the other two at the dinner table. You can't quite see her face from your position but judging by Juniper and dad's fearful expressions, it must have been something truly and utterly petrifying. "You two should be more like (Y/n)."

If your family was a court case, your mother would be the vicious judge swinging her gavel around like a delinquent brandishing a baseball bat. You, Juniper, and dad were the powerless defendants.

(And from this analogy, you suppose the Saiki family is the plaintiff)

You suppose it isn't all bad.

It's not as if the Saiki family were a horde of demons waiting for the perfect moment to devour your soul and drag you down to the pits of hell. On the contrary, Mrs. Saiki is an absolute sweetheart you would protect with your life. Her husband is a bit forgetful because you often see him sitting on his front steps because he forgot his house keys but he means well.

It's hard to imagine that people as nice as them produced someone like their son.

How did Saiki even get his psychic powers? His parents are as normal as can be. Maybe Mrs. Saiki ate a magical gemstone or something when she was pregnant. It's the only plausible explanation you can think of.

You are deep in thought about the possibility of psychic genes and what this could mean with your grandmother when Kokomi taps you on the shoulder. "(Y/n)? You are spacing... Are you okay?"