Chapter 1: Life in Metro

life in Polis, my home station, was never easy. We were commonly under attack from the creatures that stalked in the shadows of the underground tunnels we called home, i had never been to the surface, i had never even seen a picture of the sky, but all that changed on the day i was drafted. I started having strange dreams about the surface...and about what dangers lie there. The missions we recieved took us to the upper and lower tunnels to fend of monster attacks, sometimes you would see a guy lose and arm and live, other times, you would have to run to survive. Thats all there is to living underground, life and death. Since money was of no use to us anymore, we traded ammunition for supplies. A single gold bullet was worth 1,000 bronze bullets, a single silver bullet was worth 500 bronze bullets, and bronze bullets were like the dollar bills of the money system, if you had 5 gold bullets you could buy an entire stand of supplies. Food and fresh water was hard to come by, so every now and again someone would get shot over a bottle of water. If you commited a crime and got caught, you were banished to the surface where you either froze to death...or were killed by bandits and the flesh eating shells of what used to be the happy citizens of Pripyat and Chernobyl. Soon after waking up on another day of normal life as a soldier, i grabbed my gear and headed to the airlock for my first mission to the surface. "ARTYOM, HEY ARTYOM!", a member of my squad ran up to me, "You almost forgot this.", he handed me my knife, i said to him, "Thanks Bourbon, it mustve fallen off my pants when i put them on today." Bourbon was another one of those fresh from training guys who was thought to die on his first mission, he survived a few raids by bandits and even had a few scars from the mutant attacks to show his experience, he however was not as experienced as me.

------------------------------------

Well what did you guys think for part one of my first official novel, good/bad? please tell me what you guys and girls think, will put out a new part every day if you really like it, till next time everyone