Genji x Reader: Thoughts of You Subside, Then I Get Another Letter

Genji Shimada had left Overwatch and you behind long ago. The two of you had been good friends then, you being one of the agents that didn't ostracize him when he wasn't needed, but he'd insisted that his mentality was twisted. He held a strong self-hatred for himself, he'd told you, stemming from his belief that he had been saved and turned into the partial man, mostly machine he was to this day solely to be Overwatch's experimental plaything and weapon. Despite your protests, he'd stood strong with his statement and only a day later did you catch wind of the saddening news; Genji had disappeared the night after you and he had spoken.

You hadn't expected to hear a word from the cyborg man after that, so you were astonished to the point of tears when you received his first letter during Overwatch's routine mail call. The envelope hadn't been signed with his name but the drawn prints of sparrow feet, a type of code the two of you had created after a late night storytelling about Genji's childhood. The letter was simple and written with beautiful flowing handwriting; Genji was safe and well, exploring the route to self care and acceptance in Nepal under the teachings of an traveling omnic monk. He assured you that he was in a better place as well as his reasoning for contacting you; he wanted to connect once more. He wished you well with your own endeavors, provided a location to send your letters, and signed his name in a calligraphy that would put historical writers to shame.

That had been nine months ago.

"(Y/N), mail's here!"

Your heart fluttered as it always recently did when you heard mail had arrived. You quickly rose to your feet and exited your quarters, making your way to the area where the people who received physical mail were able to retrieve it. Worming your way through the small crowd of agents, you obtained your letter with a soft smile to the worker in the process of putting the mail away. You then scurried back to your room, where you sat at your desk and held the letter to your chest as you took a calming breath.

It was not lost upon you that over time your feelings for Genji had grown into something more than friendship. You couldn't be sure whether he shared your feelings but it seemed so in the way he took such care in writing you each time, in the way he returned your written mild affections with those of his own. Someday you might be willing to ask him but for now, you were happy with simply keeping in touch with the man you so dearly cared for.

After sitting in quiet and soothing your soul, you broke the silence by opening the envelope keeping you from Genji's delicate but powerful penmanship. With quivering fingers, you slipped the envelope decorated with sparrow prints in your desk drawer, joining countless others, and unfolded the letter inside. Taking another breath to calm your nerves, you sat back in your desk chair and began to read.

"My dearest, (Y/N)..."