Chapter 12 - A Mess

Start from the beginning

"Is he a Northlander?" One of the peasants asked the person next to them.

"I am not sure, he spoke Midlanese as well. He could be one of those Northlanders changed Midlanders." Another peasant answered. "It's my first time seeing one in person. I heard they were barbaric and violent."

"They should stay near the borders when we gave them a place to stay, why are these barbarians migrating towards the center of the Midlands?" One of Sir Keltmen's friend said.

While the people were worrying about former Northlanders moving into their country, Sir Keltmen had other questions in mind.

"Lord Bullock, why do ye have a servant that can understand Northernese?" Sir Keltmen asked with raising suspicion.

"Sir Keltmen, he is an orphan that I took in after the war. He was born near the northern borders and can understand a few lines of Northernese, but he is not of Northern blood." Lord Bullock assured the noble.

"Ye over there! What are ye doing? Why aren't ye catching the Northlander!?" Lord Bullock ordered his servants while pointing towards the lad to gear the suspicion off of him. "Get rid of him!"

"Stop, I am not a Northlander!" Everin blurted out after doing some quick thinking.

The men paused, what should they do? Should they still catch the lad despite it not being a Northlander? And what about the fact that the servant who lost its memory was able to reunite with someone that knew his previous life?

"Catch him!" Lord Bullock ordered again.

"On what premise? I have not broken any laws, you have no right to arrest me." Everin then stepped forward protecting Kevin. "I have came to claim this person's identity, you will have to release him."

Lord Bullock gasp in disbelief. "How dare a peasant order me around? He is my servant, where do ye think ye are taking him?"

"He was your servant when he didn't know of his identity. But now he knows who he is, ye must to release him. If you don't release him, I will report you for wrongful kidnapping and excessive abuse."

Everin pulled up the sleeves revealing the wounds on the servant's arm to everyone and Lord Bullock. The people were all shocked and horrified by the grotesque wounds. They couldn't believe that the servant was treated this harshly and strangely they agreed with the lad. Although, the servant worked for Lord Bullock, it was not right for Lord Bullock to beat his servants to this state.

"He is my servant. I can treat him however I want."

"You have no right to treat him this way!"

"Are ye all going to disobey me?" Lord Bullock shouted at his men.

"I am sorry, my lord." The servants apologized.

Since the servants refused to follow his order, Lord Bullock had no choice and pulled out his whip that was attached to his waist. "Ye incompetence fools!" Lord Bullock shouted as he snapped his whip.

Everin had to react fast as the whip came lashing down at her and Kevin. The crowd all gasped and screamed in the dismay. While the nobles were distracted by the commotion, Sir Williams saw it as an opportunity to get away. He reached over to grab the lad's arm, but the lad was gone. He was about surge when saw the lad between Lord Bullock and the servant. What was it doing!? And why was it putting itself in danger?

"How dare a peasant interfere with my business? Move out the way!" Lord Bullock ordered.

Everin wasn't going to let Lord Bullock hurt Kevin again. "This is assault."