𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞

"...and these children that you spit on, as they try to change their worlds are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through... - David Bowie"

saturday, march 24, 1984- 6:55 AM

»»————-✩————-««

A blue Chevy Impala pulled up in front of Shermer High school. The auburn-haired woman driving the car parked, and turned to her daughter, the splitting image of her.

"Detention, and you haven't even been in the school for a semester. Wonderful. Get out of my sight, Opal." she said, motioning for her daughter to leave. She opened the car door and got out.

"Bye, mom..." she whispered, slamming the car door and walking toward the school.

Adjacent to the Chevy Impala, a red-haired girl with a bob was fuming in her father's car.

"I can't believe you can't get me out of this! I mean it's so absurd I have to be here on a Saturday! It's not like I'm a defective or anything." she exclaimed. Her father turned to her.

"I'll make it up to you. Honey, ditching class to go shopping doesn't make you a defective. Have a good day." her father said. She rolled her eyes and got out of the car.

Meanwhile, a blonde-haired teenage boy, his little sister, and his mother were in a car.

"Is this the first time or the last time we do this?" the blonde's mom asked.

"Last..." he mumbled, clearly upset. 

"Well get in there and use the time to your advantage!" she ordered.

"Mom, we're not supposed to study, we just have to sit there and do nothing." he replied.

"Well mister, you better find a way to study." his mother said. The blonde got out of the car and walked inside the school.

In another car, a light-brown haired teenager with a Letterman jacket sat with his father in the latter's car.

"Hey, I screwed around, guys screw around, there's nothing wrong with that. Except you got caught, Sport." his father said.

"Yeah, mom already reemed me, alright?" the boy snarked.

"You wanna miss a match? You wanna blow your ride? Now no school's gonna give a scholarship to a discipline case!" his father shouted angrily. The jock got out of the car and walked to the school.

Behind the cars that drove away, a teenager with brown hair, sunglasses and a jean jacket was walking to the school. He didn't even notice a car driving by him. 

Finally, a brown-haired girl wearing all black got out of her parents' car. The car drove away before she could say anything. She walked inside the high school.

Inside the library, the six teenagers find their seats. The jock sits down next to the redhead. The blonde was sitting behind them, until the brunette with the jean jacket motions for him to sit in another seat. The girl in all black sat all the way in the back. Opal walked over to the blonde's table.

"D-do you mind if I sit here?" she asked, pointing to the empty seat next to him. He nodded. She sat down and took her jacket off. Opal noticed that the redhead and the jock were laughing at the brunette, who had his feet on the table in front of him. After a bit, the principal walked in, holding a stack of papers.

"Well, well, here we are. I want to congratulate you for being here on time." he says to the group. The redhead raised her hand.

"Excuse me, sir? I think there's been a mistake. I know it's detention, but I don't think I belong in here." she says. Opal was shocked at what the redhead said. Luckily, the principal didn't give her a problem, instead he flat out ignored her.

"It is now 7:06. You have exactly eight hours and fifty-four minutes to think about why you're here. To ponder the error of your ways." the principal was caught off guard by the brunette spitting up and catching it in his mouth. Opal gave him a disgusted look, and saw that the redhead gave him a similar look.

"And you may not talk. You will not move from these seats."

"And you," he says, pointing at the brunette, "will not sleep." he pulled the chair out from his legs.

"Alright people, we're gonna try something a little different today. We are gonna write an essay, of no less than a thousand words, describing to me who you think you are." the principal said, a snarky look growing on his face. Opal wanted to give the principal a piece of her mind, but that was what she earned a detention for.

"Is this a test?" the brunette asked. The principal ignored him, as he passed out pieces of paper and pencils. Opal wrote her name on the paper as soon as she got it.

"And when I say essay, I mean essay. I do not mean a single word repeated a thousand times. Is that clear, Mr. Bender?" the principal said, looking at the brunette. He looked at the principal straight in the eyes.

"Crystal..." Bender said.

"Good. Maybe you'll learn a little something about yourself. Maybe you'll even decide whether or not you care to return." the principal said, eyeing Bender. The blonde boy next to Opal stands up.

"You know, I can answer that right now, sir, that'd be no, no for me. Because..." he was cut off by the principal.

"Sit down, Johnson." he said. Johnson sat down. Opal stood up.

"I got the s-same answer as him, sir. I'd rather not return." she said, turning red.

"Whatever. Sit down, new girl." Opal sat down timidly. Johnson gave her a sad smile. She returned it, noticing that the blonde, Johnson, was pretty cute.

"My office, is right around the corner. Any monkey business is ill-advised. Any questions?" the principal asked, looking at the six teenagers.

"Yeah, I got a question. Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe?" Bender piped up. Opal suppressed a laugh. 

"I'll give you the answer to that question, Mr. Bender, next Saturday. Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns." the principal said, while walking out of the library.

"What a line," Opal whispered to Johnson. He laughed. 

"That man, is a brownie hound." Bender said. Opal gave an amused grin.