six.

As the weeks drew on, Grace became ever more of an irritant to Rowan. The only benefit of her was that she told everything to Rowan in confidence. Grace fancied Tommy, they were going to fight Billy Kimber and they'd hidden the guns somewhere. Grace now had a job working as a financial advisor to Arthur as he was becoming too much of a drunk to handle it all, much to Rowan's dismay.

Their relationship had not changed in the whole time she'd been in Birmingham. He fucked her, she fucked him. It had been like that every day bar one when he was at the races and he decided it was against her best interests for her to be there. What angered her more was the fact that Grace got to go, lying and deceiving Grace.

Rowan had a painfully uncomfortable feeling in her stomach that her father and Grace's relationship was becoming something seedy. He glorified her every move and spoke about her as if she was the messiah. Every dinner time talk could somehow be reverted to the pretty blonde. Rowan was becoming sick of hearing of her, seeing of her and even being around her.

Chester Campbell had turned into an even more disgusting man, which many had deemed impossible. He was torturing innocent men for no apparent reason other than his distorted view of fun. He was becoming more ruthless when it came to searches. Rowan wanted nothing to do with him but yet there was no obvious route to escape him.

She sat in the office of the Garrison, Grace's office, with her elbows resting on the table and her head in her hands. Her mind was faster than a racehorse as she jumped from conclusion to conclusion so hard she was sure she was burning calories. As her long brown hair covered her face, she felt someone's head push into the crook of her neck and kiss the skin.

"What are you doing in here at this hour?" Arthur's familiar gruff voice warmed the spot on her neck.

"Thinking of slitting my wrists." She spat sarcastically.

"I wouldn't. Don't think Grace would like the mess on the table." He nipped behind her ear lobe.

Rowan pushed his head away and sat back in the chair with a grumpy look and folded arms.

"Come on love-" He tucked some hair behind her ear and tilted her face towards him. "- what's going on? You've been miserable for days."

She sighed deeply and smacked on a smile as she prepared to hide the truth again.

"Family stuff." She shrugged with a gentle smile that was so obviously concealing something.

"Are you sure? I know I'm fucking thick in the head but I don't mind listening to you. Your voice is a thing of wonder." He admitted and perched on the edge of the desk.

Rowan sat up and leant in, her lips connecting to his innocently. Arthur was making her feel safe. Perhaps it was his violent tendencies and intimidating presence over everyone else, but she felt like she was okay when she was with him. She liked having a personal bodyguard.

Arthur soon turned an innocent kiss into something else, his hands traveling to her neck and pulling her in for more. Before long he had her sat on the desk as he stood between her legs, his hands raking up and down her clothes.

"I don't think we should have sex on Grace's desk." Rowan whispered in his ear as he kissed her collarbone. "Probably not something a good catholic girl would want." She rolled her eyes.

"God isn't real." He muttered before kissing her hard again. "Any man that says God was male obviously hasn't had a good blowjob."

Rowan smiled cheekily as she pushed his jacket off his shoulders and threw it into a corner. He fiddled with the buttons on her shirt and undid them as quickly as his fingers would allow.

"Fuck's sake." He murmured as he tried to untangle his fingers from the fabric.

"This is virgin behavior, this." She pushed his hands away and finished his job, leaving her bra exposed to the cool air of the office.

"Shut the fuck up." He pulled her body towards him and wrapped her legs around his torso. "You know I'm anything but."

Rowan's hands latched onto his belt as she pulled it open and off his trousers. She undid the button as his hands moved under her skirt and started to trail over her underwear. She pushed his trousers down and was about to pull his underwear down as well but the pair were startled by a noise.

"Is there anyone in here?" A thick Irish man's voice shouted.

Rowan's heart jumped into her throat.

"Who is it?" Arthur shouted out as he obliviously tried to pull her underwear off.

"Stop." She whispered and pushed him away before doing up her buttons again.

"It's Inspector Chester Campbell. I'm looking for Thomas." Her dad shouted again.

She felt as if she was about to be sick. But somewhere deep inside of her, she was enjoying the rebellion. The constant fear of being caught was like a drug.

"You won't find him here, now do one and fuck off because I'm busy." Arthur slammed the door of his office and locked it.

The door of the Garrison audibly swung shut causing a sigh of relief to escape from Rowan's lips.

"'Listen love, tomorrow is my brother's wedding day-" Arthur began to talk.

"Does he know?" She inquired with a smirk.

"Not a clue. I'd really like it if you came along with my. It'll be a fucking snooze fest but I'm sure we can find a way to make it interesting." He pulled her in for a kiss once more, now both of them fully clothed again.

"I'll be there. Wherever there is." She smiled and pecked his lips.

"The Lee family's plot. He's marrying Mariah." Arthur explained.

"Never heard of her in my life. Bet she's a bitch." Rowan turned her nose up in disgust.

"What makes you say that?" He questioned.

"All women are bitches Arthur, it's your job to decide if they're worth loving."

a/n: i'm so sorry i haven't updated in a while but whatever the fuck this is to make up for it x