Chapter Twenty Eight

“I am pregnant.”

Ira listened to Julius' faint footsteps as they climbed up the stairs, her eyelids pressed together, shrouding her in darkness. A part of her hoped she would open her eyes and find that the conversation she had unintentionally overheard was unreal, but there was the part that knew it wasn't.

How could Julius do this to her?! Her body trembled on the bed, and she sought to calm her racing heart. She couldn't cry, she thought, chastising herself. Surely he didn't mean to get another woman pregnant! He didn't plan it for he had no way of remembering he had been married to her.

Bitterness shook her body. She was bitter at Corrine, and she was especially bitter at Julius. Even if she knew she could blame neither of them.

Julius reached the room, and she heard him settle on the bed beside her. She held her eyelids shut and remained unmoving, hoping he would think she was asleep and leave her alone for a few minutes. She needed to think, to sought things out in her mind.

Would Julius want nothing to do with her now that he knew another woman was pregnant for him, a woman of noble birth no less? For Ira was only a servant and incapable of competing with Lady Corrine.

“Ira.” Julius' palm brushed her bare back, setting her skin on fire. Unconsciously, she let out a soft moan, as her body stirred in his direction.

She felt his hand brush her hair aside, his fingers grazing her cheek as her eyelids parted and her eyes came to rest on his weary face.

He appeared pale and troubled, the fire she had seen in his eyes the night she spent in his arms, having been quenched most likely by the news of the child he had sired. Was he here to dismiss her? Perhaps he was here to tell her he wanted nothing to do with her?

Fear clouded Ira's mind, forcing her body forward until she was pressing her lips to his and silencing him.

Perhaps fate didn't want them together, she thought, his arms curling around her waist. Perhaps she should never have left India? Perhaps she should have agreed to his marriage proposal once they were reunited in Italy again? Perhaps she should never have left him with Corrine, for even then, even after all of those years, even with a scarred face she couldn't recognize, her heart was drawn to this man who sat before her.

She tilted her head to the side, their kiss deepening as she did so.

“Ira.” He pulled away slightly, his warm lips grazing her jaw. “There is something you must know.”

Ira stared into his eyes, knowing as she did so, that she didn't want to know. She didn't want to know anything anymore. She didn't want to hear of Corrine or the life growing within her. She didn't want to know of the many reasons they couldn't be together. She didn't want to leave his side, or be taken from his arms. She didn't want anything and anyone but him.

She shook her head slowly, raising her fingers to the neckline of his robe. She brushed the hairy linen aside slightly, her eyes coming to rest on his mangled skin.

“We mustn't talk.” She breathed, fighting the urge to give in to her tears.

He leaned forward, and placed both his hands against the sides of her face. His eyes searched hers. “I need to tell you something. Corrine is...”

She shook her head furiously, fighting the urge to curse at the world for being so cruel to her. “Corrine doesn't exist,” Her lips trembled. She shifted forward, her thumb brushing his scarred chest. “Corrine doesn't exist, not today, Julius.”

She couldn't look at him, for she feared she would give in to her tears if she did. So, she turned her attention to her thumb that was now stroking his burns.

He touched her chin, tilting it up until she was staring into his blue eyes.

“What do you want, Ira?”

“You.” She didn't need to consider his words, she already knew the answer. She wanted him, all of him, and all to herself.

He breathed deeply, and leaned back. She watched helplessly as he pulled away completely, her hand falling to the mattress.

Hitching a breath, her tears broke loose of the restraint she thought she had on them, as she watched him climb out of the bed. She sat still for several seconds, her heart seemingly ceasing to beat in her chest. He was walking away from her like he had done in India. He was leaving her once more, and there was nothing she could do.

Sobbing, she leaned forward and buried her face in the pillow. She should never have return! Why did she return?! Pain ripped at her heart, her lungs constricting. Unable to breathe, she thought it was better to die than to face the same intensity of pain all over again.

Darkness clawed at her body, pulling her into an endless abyss. Powerless to fight it, she gave into it.

***

“Ira.”

Air filled her lungs, dragging her out of the darkness. Her lungs burning, she haunched over, her body being thrown into a painful episode of coughing.

“Ira,” Julius! Tears stung her vision as she fought to regain her composure. “Ira, are you alright?” He wrapped his arms around her, forcing her body into his embrace.

“Julius? I thought you left?” She coughed once more, her lungs burning.

“Of course not. Here, rest.” He loosened his hold on her.

Clinging to him, she buried her head in his chest. “No,”

“Ira? What seems to be the matter? Shall I have breakfast brought in?”

She shook her head. “I'm not hungry, Julius. Please, don't leave me again.”

“I didn't leave, love.” He chuckled. “I went to lock the doors.”

“What?” His words made her feel better, and she pulled slightly away to find him smiling down at her.

“I didn't want Corrine barging in on us again, or my mother, or anyone else.” He leaned down to kiss her forehead, but she leaned forward instead, their lips meeting.

She tangled her arms around his neck, his arms curling around her waist in response. Her hands found the belt that kept his robe in place, and loosened it. Slipping her hands up his shoulders, she pushed the sleeves off and turned to toss the robe to the floor, a small frown creasing her face as she did so. When she turned back to him, a wide grin brightened his face.

She raised her brow in question, and he shrugged. “I hate that robe as well.”

She blushed then, her gaze falling to her hands.

Something warm touched her head, gaining her attention. When she glanced up, he was staring intently down at her.

“But I love you, Ira.”

Ira's heart leaped at his words, momentarily dispelling her fears. In that second, nothing else mattered. The world that held Corrine in it no longer existed. The servants and every soul in the building faded. The room and its furniture faded. The red robe lying carelessly on the floor faded. All she saw and heard, was Julius.

Sighing softly, she nodded. “I love you too, Julius, I've always loved you.”

He smiled once more, and captured her lips. Leaning forward, she melted into his arms.

Copyright © 2018 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.