Chapter Five

The news of Miranda's departure devastated Ira even if Lady Talbot had ensured Miranda got a better job working in another estate with several servants to help. A part of Ira felt guilt for taking Miranda's position, there was another part of her that felt lonely and it was that part that missed Miranda's presence greatly.

She stood watching Miranda as she packed her clothes into a traveling bag.

“Forgive me, Miranda, I didn't know this would happen.” Ira clutched her hands before her, tears threatening to fall down her face.

“Not you, ” Miranda turned around, a smile on her face as she held out her arms. Moving forward swiftly, Ira covered the distance between them and settled in her arms. She leaned her head against her shoulder, the faint scent of her cheap lye mixed with spices, drifting into Ira's nostrils. “Happy I go, I get help with new master. You,” She patted her back in a soothing manner. “have home and for baby. You work with Lord Talbot and not show fear, not look at scars. One more thing,” Pulling away, Ira watched a frown crease the older woman's face as she held her at arm's length “No more medicine to make Rey sleep.” Miranda lifted a brow in question.

Ira sighed softly. She hated, as much as Miranda, having to use her mother's potion on Rey to have him sleep most of the time, but what choice did she have? She couldn't risk him fussing and crying while she worked on the docks or snuck into the home of Lord Talbot, or slept in his stable! She couldn't risk his cries and loud noises because she couldn't risk them getting caught. And if she did listen to Miranda and feeding the child with the sleeping potion, would his cries become too much for her new master? Would she be fired and once again left to live on the streets?

“You promise,” Miranda's hold on her weakened, frown deepening.

“I will reduce it.”

Miranda shook her head furiously, hair slapping her face. “Never! You never feed it to him.” She pointed a finger at her face. “Swear it.”

Exhausted, Ira found herself nodding to Miranda's demands. She didn't think she could argue with the older woman who was there for her when nobody else was, but it didn't mean she had to obey her.

“I tell Mistress, ensure you stop.” She threatened, causing Ira's lips to fall wide open.

“No, I'll stop, I assure you!” Fear clung to Ira at the thought of someone else finding out what it is she has been doing to Rey. She already bore the guilt of her actions, she wasn't sure she could bear the shame.

Miranda's brown eyes searched hers for several minutes for signs of deceit. When she found none, she nodded in agreement and turned from Ira to Rey who laid sleeping once more on the bed. She leaned down over him and planted a kiss on his cheek.

“Time to wake up,” She whispered softly, fingers running across his pale cheek. “World waits.”

Missing Miranda was expected but what Ira didn't expect was the extent to which she would miss the aging housekeeper. The unfamiliar building seemed even more foreign than it usually did and with Miranda gone, it seemed empty. Rey slept through the entire afternoon while Ira did most of the chores she was accustomed to doing for Miranda. When it was time for dinner, she found the dining room and placed the meal on the table. Hurriedly, she allowed her gaze to scan the empty room for a few seconds, taking in the size of it and the size of the table.

A big chandelier hung on the ceiling just above the long table with several cushioned seats. It was obvious from the length of the table and the number of seats that the room was intended for a large family and to host banquets. Instead, it was empty, the lights of the chandelier were put off and the candle stand on the table only held two candle sticks that did very little to keep the room lighted up.