Chapter Three

Ira's heart threatened to leap out of its cage in her chest as she listened to his low groans seep through every crack in the ceiling and break down the walls of the silence in the room. Trembling, she rose to her feet and made her way around the bed to where Rey slept peacefully. She carried him in her arms and turned to the door.

She would leave, she decided, afraid the beast would somehow sense her presence and come to find her. Perhaps he would even harm her? She didn't know who he was or what he was capable of and she didn't think she wanted to find out. She was after all trespassing on his land, was she not? It was no use trying to fall asleep anyway and Lady Talbot wouldn't notice her absence in the morning, that was certain.

With her mind made up, she readjusted the sleeping baby in her arms and began making her way out of the building, terrified.

♠♠♠

The scent of steaming coffee overpowered the entire room as the maid stood pouring the brown liquid into two tea cups. Lady Talbot sat with her eyes trailing the movement of the maid and her mind distracted by the young woman she met the evening before; Ira. She shared no similar features with the maid and while she did appear malnourished, Josephine could admit that she was beautiful. She possessed a beauty that was rare in many ways, so rare, she nearly appeared alien.

“Anything?” Miranda turned inquiring eyes to Josephine who shook her head in response. When the maid turned to Julius who was already reaching for his cup of tea, Lady Talbot spoke,

“That will be all, Miranda, thank you.” Bowing, Miranda turned and began making her way out of the room. She was at the door when Josephine heard herself say, “Is Ira married?!” The words poured out of her lips before she could even consider them for not only was her question done in poor taste, it made her appear to be nothing but a busybody.

Yet, a part of Josephine knew the origin of her question. It was borne out of a desire to see her son with a woman and while she knew nothing about Ira, she knew nothing about Hadassah as well when she orchestrated her marriage to Daniel. The marriage worked, didn't it? And Julius, there wasn't that much of a difference between him and his brother. While Daniel was blind, Julius was burned. The two were disabled in ways that kept them trapped and away from the rest of the world. If Josephine hadn't stepped in, Daniel would have remained unmarried. Perhaps she was here to do the same for her son? Perhaps he needed only to set his eyes on Ira and he would change his mind?

There was however the possibility that Ira was indeed married for she had a son and if she wasn't married, could Josephine convince her to agree to a marriage to a man whose physical features were anything but appealing?

“My Lady?” Miranda's question helped to pull Josephine back to the present. Lifting her eyes up, she found Julius watching her, a frown on his scarred face.

Perhaps she should apologize for requesting for such an information from Miranda? She had certainly crossed a line with her question but it was however too late to go back over that line and she was desperate. “Ira,” She reached for her tea and took a long sip in a failed attempt to calm her nerves. “Is she married or perhaps betrothed to a man? ”

“Husband, die, my lady.” The maid stood wringing her hands in a clear show of nervousness.

Josephine felt a smile tug on the corners of her lips and immediately lifted her tea cup before her face in an attempt to hide it. “That will be all, Miranda.” She leaned back against her chair, knowing the first obstacle had been removed. Turning her attention to Julius whose frown reflected his confusion, she took another sip of her tea; she only needed to get rid of the second obstacle. Unfortunately for her, Julius' stubbornness might prove to be a bigger obstacle.