Miles

Chapter 11

Miles

I gripped my gun hard as if my life depended on it. I could see the infected's eyes as our headlights pointed at their direction. I've never seen so many pairs of eyes like the ones I saw that night. I am truly terrified for my life. I don't know what outcome will turn tonight, but right now, all I can do is fight. I need to fight.

The RV stopped.

"Don't worry! I got the wrong key. There are two engines in this RV. I just need the second key to start the second engine. The first one died." Bernie told us.

"Who the hell would build an RV with two engines?" I questioned.

"Me." Bernie replied as he looked for the second key.

Alia and I looked out at the windows to check on everyone. Bernie was trying to find his key while the three remaining kids panicked.

"Miles, look!" Alia gasped.

I looked at the direction she was looking. The infected have gone in out camp. So many of them came out of the forest yet there are more to come. It seemed like they were never going to end.

Our camp had two trucks. One was navy blue and one was black. It could fit maybe eight people if six can squeeze in the back. I don't know why we won't let some people stay in the RV. Bernie told us that the kids and women are important. I understand the kids but why women? Can't they help us fight? I learned today that women who do laundry in the apocalypse will die. You either learn to shoot a damn gun or die.

"Oh my god! The infected!" Alia squealed.

I looked out again where she was looking. The navy blue truck was getting attacked. I saw one guy just fall into the horde of infected.

The infected then began to limp towards us. I dart my eyes on Bernie. He was digging through the drawers at the front looking for the second key.

"Bernie! Hurry the hell up!" I shout.

I cracked the window open just enough for my pistol to fit through. I began shooting at the damned. I wouldn't care if we attract more because it's like we already gathered all the infected here.

Alia began shooting with my. Her shooting skills weren't that great but she got the job done.

Just then, I heard really loud banging at the RV door. The lock was just about to break.

"Alia! The door!" I shouted.

She quickly ran up to the door and put her back onto it. The door still banged.

I looked out into the window to point my gun at the door. There were so many. I shot and shot until I ran out of ammo. I glanced back at the navy blue truck... They were all fighting for their life.

"I found it!" Bernie gleefully cheered.

"Then what the hell are you doing celebrating like it's your birthday? Drive you old bastard!" Alia yelled at the top of her lungs.

The door was about to bust open.

"Bernie!" I shout, "The infected are about to bust in! Drive!"

Bernie ran back to the drivers seat and put the key in. Out of all the times when the RV could have done that, the engine won't start.

"Dammit! Hold on kids! I'll get it to start." Bernie ensured.

I turn back to Alia. She was struggling to keep the door shut.

"Give me your gun." I told Alia.

She tossed me her revolver. I had six shots. The black truck has been long gone. It's just us and the navy blue truck.