1 | Keep The Family Close

"How do you not check on me when things go wrong?
Guess I should have tried to keep my family closer, much closer
All of my "let's just be friends"
Are friends I don't have anymore
Guess it's what they say you need family for
'Cause I can't depend on you anymore"
- Drake

Bailey |

"Ms. Rogers, we're very sorry to hear about what's going on with your father, but unfortunately we will need to secure a payment for next semester in order for you to continue your studies here." I shook my head while trying to come up with a plan. I'm only one semester away from graduating with my International Baccalaureate Diploma which will basically get me into any university in the states. I've already sent in my transfer application to my dream school, Harvard. This is literally the worst time for this stuff to happen with my dad.

"I've been at this school for almost five years. There has to be something that I can do. You know I've never had any issues with payment before. I graduate next semester, so believe me I can have a full payment. I just need a little time to figure out what's going on with my father." All of mine and my father's accounts are frozen, but I know he has more than enough in cash to cover my tuition plus more. I just need to get home and put the money into my school account.

"I'll give you until the end of summer break Ms. Rogers, and that's only because of the history you have here with us."

"Thank you." I stood up and quickly made my exit. I have a flight to catch in a couple hours so I don't have any time to waste. I've been a student here at CATS Cambridge Boarding School in the UK since I was fourteen. It's one of the best schools in the world and it doesn't come cheap either. My tuition here as an international student is a little under fifty thousand dollars, which is split up between semesters and includes my boarding and meals. My daddy goes out of his way to provide the best of everything for me, so it's hard for me to even imagine him actually being taken away from me. I pulled out my cell phone and called him on the way to my dorm.

"What's up, baby girl?"

"Daddy, when will you get access back into your accounts? I just had to convince the dean not to give up my spot here due to non payment."

"I'm working on it."

"I have until the end of summer break to have the payment in or they're dropping me from the program. I need this last semester to graduate, Daddy."

"I know. I'll make sure it's taken care of."

"But-"

"Bailey, what did I say?" I stayed quiet, knowing he wasn't asking for a response. It's just his way of telling me not to question him. Which is hard to do when his face is being plastered all over the news. "Now go get ready for your flight. Make sure that you and Camille don't miss it this time. I'll see you tomorrow when you get in." He spoke before ending the call. Camille is my best friend and roommate. Also the only other black girl at this school. We met our first day here and immediately requested to be roomed together.