▫ ️One

"Now, Rose, you take care at school-"

"Mum, I know, it's not like I'm a child," she sighed, "I'm technically an adult now, you don't have to continue being like that."

Instantly, Helen frowned as she watched her daughter. "Like what?"

The girl looked up at her with pursed lips, but as she noticed her expression, she couldn't tell her. She knew she would be heartbroken if she did. She didn't know any better.

"Forget it," she shook her head as she took some steps back, dragging her trunk with her as she did so. "I'll see you in some months."

"Take care!"

With a roll of her eyes, she got on the scarlet Hogwarts Express that was about ready to go and quickly headed to the front of the train, where she knew her friends were going to be. She didn't wish to attract any unnecessary attention to herself, even if she knew that most probably, nobody would spare her more than a glance. Keeping her head low but making sure she saw everything around her, she made her way to the front of the train and swiftly opened the door of a compartment and got inside. She only raised her head when she closed the door behind her, and instantly, a smile formed on her lips.

"Well, don't you look thrilled to see me?"

Instantly, the two girls in the compartment looked her way, bright smiles forming on their lips as Rose discarded her trunk and opened her arms. Without even thinking about it, both of them jumped up and hugged her tightly, squealing slightly as they did so.

"It's been months, Rosie!" one of them said as they finally pulled back. She placed a strand of blonde hair behind her ear as she watched her friend, her small eyes almost not seen as she smiled. "You are late too, Angela and I have been waiting for ages!"

"Now you are exaggerating, Brenda," Rose smirked, "we both know you never get to a meeting on time."

"She was actually on time today," Angela piped in as she sat down once again, the other two following her example. "It was you that was uncharacteristically late."

"It was not my fault," she shrugged, "mum got emotional again, grandma had to remind her to get going every minute. If it weren't for her, I would have been more late."

"Have I ever mentioned I love grandma Martha?" Brenda chuckled, "No offence to your mum, I am sure she is great, but I like your grandma more."

"Mum does tend to get emotional often," Rose admitted, "she always makes a connection between me and dad, you see."

"After all these years?" Brenda asked again, "It's been what, ten years since he passed away?"

"Thirteen, actually," she pursed her lips, "she is right, though. We really do look alike."

Brenda didn't have anything else to say on the matter. Instead, she looked at Angela who hadn't spoken at all since the start of the conversation. The girl, realising that the attention was on her, cleared her throat as she changed the course of the conversation.

"I am kind of hurt, guys, you didn't notice anything different about me?"

"Well, now you mention it, you did get uglier-"

"Brenda!"

The blonde burst out laughing as Angela huffed. Rose let a small smile form on her lips, but she didn't take her attention off of her friend who claimed there was something different about her this time. She looked closely, and after some time, she finally realised what was different about her.

Her hair that was usually light brown, now had strands of blonde. Satisfied she had realised what had happened, she smirked. "You dyed your hair, didn't you?"